Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Overwater basses............

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jugghaid, May 18, 2005.

1. Jugghaid

Jugghaid

Jun 28, 2002
    Denver, CO, USA
    Anyone here have any experience with them? I'm looking at a possible trade for my custom Fbass. If anyone has some good experience with these, any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. JDGA fan

JDGA fan

Oct 9, 2003
    NC
    My experience with Overwater basses is mostly limited to the older models (say pre-'92), but they were absolutely top-notch instruments on a par with the top US boutique builders. I am sure you have looked at Chris' website, but if not, try: "http://www.overwaterbasses.com/". I currently have an older Overwater instrument, a fretless C bass, that is factory-tuned C-F-Bb-Eb, not regular E-A-D-G tuning, and it is a superb instrument. Can you be more specific about the model you are interested in?

3. Jugghaid

Jugghaid

Jun 28, 2002
    Denver, CO, USA
    Thanks for the reply. It's a Progress III Custom with the newer electronics (looks like East makes them). I've looked at his site, but there's only so much you can get form there. I'm sure the craftsmanship is very high quality, but I have heard some reviews that the Overwater basses are muddy and boomy sounding. However, reviews are scarce and I would hate to try and judge a bass by 2 or 3 peoples opinions. That's why I'm trying to get as much info as possible.

The gentleman who wants to make the trade is in the UK as well, so I can't really try before I buy. The bass I'm looking to trade is worth about $2500, and that's about 1/2 the price of a new overwater, so monetarily I don't think we're that far off. I just don't know anything about the bass. Neck shape, tone, etc. Any input is greatly appreciated.

4. My bass teacher has recently had a custom 5 string made for him with a gorgeous spalted maple, spent a lot of time drooling over it, and been lucky enough to play it quite a bit as well.
    Great build quality, and the tone is to die for. I seriously can't recommend them enough.
    I can give you his email if you want to ask him about it.

Rich.

5. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    I'd personally be hesitant to trade something with name recognition (in the states) for something I don't know much about without any name recognition. I'm sure the Overwater is nice and equal in value, but it might be tough to get your money's worth if you try to trade again or sell. Sadowsky's have great resale, Celinder's don't for example. Just my input. Good luck.

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

No doubt they are high quality - but the ones I've tried and seen have been very big, heavy and sort of "chunky" - but then it's just personal preference, as they struck me pretty much like Wals - but a lot of people love Wals - you just need to try them first!! :meh:

Both are too heavy and uncomfortable for me.

7. I had a Progress for a while. Absolutely beautiful, top-notch finish and construction.. second to none.

I couldn't get a tone I was happy with, though - it sounded thin and hollow. So.. I sold it.

No doubt they're all different, though!

8. Jugghaid

Jugghaid

Jun 28, 2002
    Denver, CO, USA
    Excellent. Thank you all very much for your input. I appreciate it a lot.

9. Matteran

Matteran Banned

Jan 1, 2005
    Santa Rosa, CA
    *bump*

I'm very interested in Overwaters.

I've been drooling over Wal for so long, and someone mentioned Overwater being pretty close to Wal. And they are. Just a more modern take on the classic Wal style.

I love the look, and everyone says the construction and everything is top notch. Most complaints are usually something to do with the pickups sounding a little muddy or thin or something right? I absolutely love the tone of Bartolini's, so do you think I could get Barts thrown in an overwater? or maybe just ask them to send it to me without any electronics?

Do you think that would be a good idea?

10. Essexbass

Essexbass

Nov 8, 2003
    Reading, U.K.
    Hi, I had Overwater build me a 5 string Jazz between Sept 2003 & Feb. 2004. Chris & Laurence were absolutely brilliant to talk to and very helpful indeed with any queries. When I finally went to Carlisle to collect it, I was very pleased with the end result (spent about 2-3 hours playing my bass and talking shop too....). Sounds exactly the way a Jazz bass should sound.

It cost me half of what a Sadowsky NYC model would go for here in the UK (Would have liked to have a Sadowsky, but didn't have the money).

I'd be interested to see if anyone has a collection of custom made Jazzes (Sadowsky, Sei, Shuker, GB, Fender, Overwater, etc..), and has any opinions on each bass compares...?