Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Overwater Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mark beem, Feb 6, 2003.

1. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Anyone here own one of these, or have experience with them?

If so what are your thoughts?

2. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
  3. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I played a couple of the original weird shpaed ones in the early 80's. I also met Chris May in 1989 and played the current shpaed 5 string (or something similar). I had my eye on a private sale in London (and Evolution 5 for £600-$800) but it went (quel suprise).

Because these are not a major name and markets are fickle these basses are excellent value for money. Don't get me wrong, Chris's work is excellent and new they are not overpriced, but that one I saw was a bargain.

4. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    My J-Series has very quickly become my main bass even though I'm not as good a fretless player as I should be. That sound I've looked for is there - fat and warm but still clear - and it plays very easily, with low string height. My band members repeatedly tell me this is the best sounding bass I have, and I can only agree. I think the choice of Overwater pickups and J-Retro preamp was a very lucky one, very versatile in sound. I can only believe their other models are as good or even better as they look to be very high quality from what the web pages and reviews tell me anyway.

For what it's worth I'm ordering a fretted J-Series too as soon as possible, bassically with the same specs.

I also have to say all the guys at Overwater Basses are very nice to deal with, they take time to discuss what you want even though they must be very busy.