Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Overwater Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rollo47, Apr 30, 2003.

1. rollo47

rollo47 Wraggotry in Motion

Nov 12, 2002
    Perth, Australia
    I was looking around at basses on the net today, and I found a brand that I had never heard of before: Overwater. They look bloody awesome, and I was just wondering if anyone had ever played one, owns one, whatever, and what they sound like, feel like etc.

2. ceeprm

ceeprm

Jul 15, 2002
    Edinburgh Scotland
    I recon they are an aquired taste- Ive been to the workshop played quite a few and borrowed one off a friend to do a gig and to record with but I didnt buy one. The're exceptionally well made- in fact one of the best made basses Ive played (which include MTDs Smiths) but I didnt like the extra long scale thing- the one I gigged was 36" and I thought my arm was going to drop off during the gig- they also tend to set them up with lighter gauge strings to compensate for this which I didn't really like- but if you live near their workshop there worth giving a try- the guys there know there stuff and are pretty helpful.

3. There's one in one of the shops round here (ceeprm - it's Live, though you probably knew that).

It's been there ages, the 36" scale is probably to blame for that - it really did feel weird, and the strings were quite tight as well, though I'm sure they were quite light.

It was a very well made bass though, but it was by far the heaviest bass I've ever picked up.

I'm gonna stop by their work shop next time I'm passing.

4. ceeprm

ceeprm

Jul 15, 2002
    Edinburgh Scotland
    No I didnt- I don't usually go into music shops other than sound control- is that live on Leven Street? Its just round the corner from me- I might go and check the bass out just to get a another opinion....

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I've never played one, altough I have bought amps/cabs from Overwater's shop by mail order - they are very nice guys to deal with and very efficient - they seem to only build basses as custom orders - but this may have been different in the past?

I saw a bassist in a UK funk band playing an Overwater bass and I really didn't like the sound - but this may have been to do with the venue which has pretty bad acoustics?

6. ceeprm

ceeprm

Jul 15, 2002
    Edinburgh Scotland
    What band was it? Its weird but every time I hear an overwater bass it sounds exactly the same whether in recording playing one myself or hearing one live- they have got quite an individual sound which you can't seem to get away from- I also really hated the slap sound which is also strange because most decent basses at least slap well!!

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I can't remember the name - they were only the support band.