Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Overwater

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Spector_Ray, Dec 13, 2005.

1. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    Anyone ever own or play an Overwater bass?
    [​IMG]

The J's look great IMHO.
    [​IMG]

Overwater Basses

2. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    I played some recently, and they are fantastic a B like you've never heard my Pedulla doesn't even come close, they are quite lightweight I know they bare some resemblance to Wal's but they are no where near there weight. I tried the Protoype of the new cheaper models they are having made outside of England. It was a wonderful bass easy to play, sounded very even all over the neck, didn't seem to have any bad tones out of the preamp. The preamp is designed and build by john East but it is completely different to the J-retro, far more subtle and musical.

I tried the jazz and again excellent build quality but overal I prefer my valenti I think it's more of a componants thing the Overwater jazz I tried had a very 60's sound to it, I think it had barts and a J-retro in it which could have contributed to my opinion, by no means a bad bass but didn't quite grab me like there proper customs did.

I had a long chat with the owner of the company Chris May and he is an excellent guy very helpful and loves to chat about gear. All in all great basses from a great company owned by a great man, you'll never go wrong with an Overwater.

Hope this helps

3. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I played a "custom" Overwater at work they other day. I work part time as a Waiter at a rather posh Hotel, and since it was dinner for 800 that night (it was the IMB Christmas party) they had booked a house band. I have gotten to know the bassist of that band during my time at work, and hat night he had a wonderful Overwater 5 string fretted bass. The looks didn't grab me, but it played great, especially for fingerstyle since he had it set up for that specifically...it's his "jazz bass". Overall, it was very nice, he said it was about £1800 ten years ago when he bought it...maybe not worth that much, but still good!

4. For me, it can't get any better than this. An Overwater is my dream that will never be achieved (along side owning a DeLorean - hmmm.. maybe I was born on the wrong side of the Atlantic....)

Ross Hamilton from Wolfstone plays one of these - tone like I have never heard before...ease of play that is unbelievable.

This reminds me - Powerball lottery jackpot is over 100 million this week...have to play...it's the only way these dreams would come true.

5. Essexbass

Essexbass

Nov 8, 2003
    Reading, U.K.
    I've got an Overwater - I put in the order for it in Sept. 2004, and Chris May & the team finished it about the end of Feb. 2005. It's a 5 string Jazz in a Blue translucent finish - the body is a combination of Tulipwood & a quilted Maple top. The neck is Rock Maple (Maple Board). White speckled pickguard. Hardware is all Hipshot & the electronics are Overwater's own.

Sound wise - it's a Jazz, no two ways about it! :). Not having seen (or heard) anyone using a GB or a Sadowsky in a live situation, I couldn't compare it, but I think it's a terrific piece of kit for the £.

Chris & Laurence are brilliant hosts as anyone who has either visited the shop will testify (Laurence is a pretty good player himself :eek: ).

Cheers,
    Essexbass.

6. bbocaner

bbocaner

Aug 17, 2005
    Herndon, VA
    I don't like the idea of an extended scale, which most if not all overwaters are. It is perfectly possible to have a really incredible low B with 34" , why sacrifice playability by making that 35" or even 36"?

Love the wal-inspired but still unique aesthetics, construction, and electronics.

They look like fabulous instruments! But I can't shake the feeling that a long scale is cheating... :)

7. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Can you give me more details on the cheap range? I live about 30 minutes to an hour from Overwater (they're based in Carlisle right?), I'd be very interested in something cheaper from them, their full customs are just way out of my range.

8. Hi AJ

All the information available at the moment on the current Overwater basses site can be found in the link below.

Cz Standard Deluxe bolt-on

From the description you can see that the perception is currently available in 3 models. The Pro Deluxe Thro neck, the Pro Deluxe bolt-on and the Cz series.

I've not had the chance to play this one yet but let me assure you that for the price they're quoting it's offering value for money and an accessible purchase point for the overwater family.

Having owned and played countless Overwaters I can testify that i haven't come accross a bass i did not like. This is not just down to a favourable view of what they produce (as i have played most, if not all of the 'high end brands) but their commitment to producing products equally matched in quality at both ends of the price scale.

As they are now manufacturing the lower end of their line up abroad they can offer bass players an affordable 'pro bass' which combines all of the product devolpment and knowledge, with highly skilled workmanship and high quality parts.

If you require anymore info regrading the new range please get in touch with me and i'll be happy to help.

Regards

Stuart

9. It definitely a "Horses for courses" thing :) I myself find anything less than a 35" scale restrictive now having owned and played Overwaters. However this isn't just with Overwaters, I have played other 'longer scale basses and also own a 35" TRB at the moment.

It can take a bit of time to get use to, but that extra coupe of inches really does compliment the B string and the overall playability of the Overwaters.

I do agree that there are excellent examples of 34" basses with awesome B strings..... but they just don't feel right to me anymore. It must be love lol.

If you ever consider an Overwater give the guys a ring and discuss your requirements... as they will do 4,5,6 and 7 strings from 32"- 38" !! ;)

Stuart

10. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Overwater will build you any bass in any scale you want, I hate 35 inch scale basses I can really tell, but the Overwater wasn't your usual 35 it felt fine in my hands

They do some interesting Jazz's which are 34 1/2 which is interesting as I tune dgcf

hope this helps

11. Essexbass

Essexbass

Nov 8, 2003
    Reading, U.K.
    Hi bbocaner,
    I've got a Yamaha BBN5 which has a 34" scale length, and to be honest, it doesn't match the low B on either the Overwater Jazz or my Yamaha TRB5. The low B is a bit muddy on the BBN5, although I do admit it's a basic 5 string & cost a fraction of either bass.

Not sure if it is classed as cheating, probably more a case that the electric bass has moved on as an instrument in it's own right since Uncle Leo pioneered the Precision bass........ :confused: I never thought I'd see the day when there was a 26 fret neck (like John Pattitucci's Yamaha or some of the Warwicks), or even a 7 or 9 string bass :eek: !

Give a 35" scale bass a try, you may possibly change your mind :)

Cheers,
    Essexbass.

12. Well put... it is only by moving forward, offering different scales and playing the things that bass will 'Evolve'.

Progressive playing isn't for all, but 35/36 should if you give it a chance ;)

Not for all, but definitely for me.....(6'7' with hands like dustbin lids) anyone wants to have a go.. come to my house and you can play your heart out :)

Stu

13. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Crikey, a £1,300 entry level import model. I think I'll stick with the used Cirrus plan :D.

14. next time you find a used cirrus on this side of the pond let me know....

15. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    A used 6 string Cirrus you mean :p. Actually, one sold for about £500 a few weeks ago, still kicking myself for not getting in on the party, tbh my plan involves having one shipped from America if needs be.

16. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Thats not that bad when you think about it, it's £500 more than a Euro Spector but it's still hand made, it's still and overwater and it's still one of the best basses you'll ever play. :D

17. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    I don't dispute that it may well be worth it. It's also more than double my budget for my next bass. Oh dear lol.

18. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    I know how you feel :p I'm going up to overwater in the new year and I think my head may well explode

19. Try going once a week... then it will explode :scowl: I just hold my breath now and resist playing anything..... yeah.. thats one big lie :p

20. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    UK
    Heres what a 20 year old Overwater looks like.
    This is my STD1..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]