1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ovnifx Smoothie Back in Stock!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Ross McLochness, Nov 2, 2015.

1. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

I've only had the pedal one day: used it through my little combo at home (Smoothie only) and at last night's gig, both with and without the Tech 21 DP-3X. The DP-3X is a two-band pedal with compression on the clean lows and low mids, and distortion on the high mids and highs.

Initial result: love it. I understand compression basics, and found it really easy to dial in, partly because of the ganged attack/release. I did some experimentation and never found an unpleasant tone**. I didn't have time for a whole lot of tweaking at the gig, but did find a setting that worked well with and without the pedal: added girth while retaining dynamics.

**I mostly stayed away from higher Sust settings because I didn't want too much squish. That said, I do want to try high Sust along with plenty of dry signal: I've done that with my Empress and Cali76 G-P and gotten great results.

Again I've only had the pedal for a day and haven't A/B'd with my other comps so I'll let Cyrus or others handle this.

Matt Dean likes this.
  2. scubaduba

scubaduba Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    So far, this is how I've dialed it in. Adds a little more oomph. I guess you'd call it light compression.

40387F17-3339-4747-9DB2-AB8C6E46C0EA.

Last edited: May 19, 2018
  3. Ross McLochness

Ross McLochness Living Room Bassist Extraordinaire Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2013
    Eden Prairie, MN
    Thanks for the detailed response Bongo. I think I’ll be buying one of these later today.

4. LSMFT6

LSMFT6 We brake for nobody Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2006
    California
    None
    Finally was able to pick mine up from the post office, the new design is quite nice.
    I used my original at the end of the chain with the tone rolled down mainly as a limiter and fattener. The plan is to use the Suave at the beginning of the chain with the tone boosted (I use flatwounds) as a sweetener.

Fuzzbass likes this.
  5. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Not exactly--even the Tough one should still have room in the sweep of the attack knob for useful range, not just all the way at one end. But this can be perceived differently with different playing styles. Also the quick/strong initial reaction of the Tough model may be more intense than expected.

6. LSMFT6

Aug 16, 2006
    California
    None
    F80F0BBB-8B52-4245-81ED-B2B8E5E02D01.

Very pleased, found that magic spot :thumbsup:

7. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    Well... I held out until Sunday; did yours arrive and did you have a chance to play with it?

Last edited: May 21, 2018
  8. Robal

Robal

Oct 26, 2003
    Los Angeles

9. Robal

Robal

Oct 26, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I have the previous version Smoothie and a FEA Opti-FET, and am wondering how different the new Smoothie would be from those. How would you compare the new opti-based Smoothie to the FEA Opti-FET in terms of noise floor and dynamic range?

10. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    I think the Smoothie Opto and the Opti-FET have the same baseline noise floor (extremely low), but I recall the Opti-FET does more to filter noise out of the high end. Frank can correct me if that's not right. In terms of dynamic range, there are two separate questions: range of the compression sensor, and headroom before clipping. I think the Opto Smoothie has clipping headroom very similar to the FEA (much higher than the original Smoothie). As far as the reaction of the sensor, that's harder to say. I think they're about the same, but I couldn't swear it as a fact.

11. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    So, now that several of you have the opto smoothies... anyone care to influence me re Suave v Toughbefore I go buy one?

12. Fuzzbass

I have only tried the Tough, but I like it a lot. That's all I got. :)

Matt Dean likes this.
  13. vivaknoxvegas

vivaknoxvegas El Duderino Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    Same for me. It has more tonal magic than my Empress did, but maybe not as much as the FEA DE-CL that I used to own. The Smoothie just makes everything with my tone, sound better.

bongomania and DirtyDuke like this.
  14. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    The Tough ones are now sold out. I'm going to wait until both versions have gotten some serious use out in the field before having another batch produced. For what it's worth, I've come to actually prefer the Suave one a bit myself for general non-effecty usage, because I like its clarity during the attack.

For those of you who have one of these new Optos, have any of you found the knobs to affect the sound when the comp is bypassed? I have one customer who had that experience, and I'll be sending him a refund of course, but I haven't received his pedal back yet to test it myself. Just wanted to inquire if anyone else has had the same issue.

15. Fuzzbass

I normally prefer clarity for compression, but I already have two compressors that give me that, so I got the Tough to try out one with a bit of mojo in it. I'd never say it's "unclear", but I like that little sumthin'-sumthin'.

I just tried my Smoothie bypassed: I twisted the knobs in all different directions, didn't notice any changes in tone whatsoever. I also did a quick A/B with Smoothie in and out of my signal path -- didn't hear a difference there either, but I'll try it again 'cuz I have to run to a gig.

bongomania likes this.
  16. scubaduba

scubaduba Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    If the tough is less responsive to slow attack I definitely am glad I got the suave. The Smoothie is not totally transparent. At least not compared to my Keeley Bassist and even my Cali 76 CB.

bongomania likes this.
  17. GentProvocateur

GentProvocateur Supporting Member

What sort of attack times are on the suave version? I generally like a slower attack to let the percussiveness of my playing through

18. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    I haven't actually measured the time range, but it's pretty broad, and definitely the Suave is the choice for what you described.

GentProvocateur likes this.
  19. Grahams Groove

Grahams Groove Can we please just groove for a while? Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Boulder, CO
    Have the new Suave, and have had zero issues with bypassed tone being effected.

For what it's worth, I flipped my Cali CB once I got the Suave Smoothie. I can dial up a comparably poppy/crisp attack on the Smoothie, but I also get more options and depth with the tone knob.

Digging it so far...

Fuzzbass, bongomania and LSMFT6 like this.
  20. LSMFT6

Aug 16, 2006
    California
    None
    I’m curious what you’re going to find when that pedal comes back, Cyrus. Bogus buyer seems a lot more likely than a technical defect, we shall see.

Mine doesn’t affect the bypass sound either.