1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ovnifx Smoothie Back in Stock!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Ross McLochness, Nov 2, 2015.

1. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    I used to own the cali76 tx and thought that it let the initial attack through too much. A dry clack if you slapped a muted string. I really liked how it improved my sound except for that peak attack getting through. I also found this with the original smoothie. Am I the only one experiencing this? Its one of the main things that has made me stuck with a McKinley modded lmb3. The new smoothie tough has me interested though, I'd like to try the cali76 cb for the hp filter. The Apex looks great to but, I think that I'm in the comps with character camp, more than clinical clean. With some tweaking I've got my Ashly dpx100 almost there. I just wish it had a little magic.

2. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    I've also though about trying to make the 3 band comp in a helix hx work but, at a live gig, those things are too hard to adjust quickly.

3. Robal

Robal Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2003
    Los Angeles
    If I purchase the Suave version and later decide I would prefer the Tough, can I send the opti Smoothie back to Cyrus or someone else to get it modified (for a fee)? Is that possible?

4. scubaduba

scubaduba Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    Ok thanks. I'm definitely glad I got the Suave version then.

5. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I wouldn't be able to make that change for you at this time. I'll inquire with my engineer about what would be involved in modding one version to the other, but I don't want to make any promises.

Down the road, when I have more Tough models in stock, I would be happy to swap one pedal for the other for a small handling fee; but again, that won't be super soon.

6. scubaduba

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    Could always put one in the classifieds as trade for the other. I bet you'll find people who want to try both.

Grahams Groove likes this.
  7. saidm

saidm

Nov 2, 2016
    Just in
    S6B6W61. :thumbsup:

thanks bongomania

mbelue, bongomania and Fuzzbass like this.
  8. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

So now I'm curious about the Suave. Of course I'd feel the same way about the Tough if I'd gotten the Suave. :D

LSMFT6 and kringle77 like this.
  9. Levin

Levin

Oct 30, 2012
    Sweden
    Got the last one of the tough models, lucky me! Very excited. Even got a refund because they found a cheaper postage rate, sweet.

Fuzzbass and scubaduba like this.
  10. GentProvocateur

GentProvocateur Supporting Member

I haven't seen this in the new thread and I'm not sure if it's buried in one of the older threads - what's the Hz fulcrum of the tilt EQ?

11. boomertech

boomertech Frank Appleton Supporting Member Commercial User

Apr 8, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Designer/Owner of FEA Labs
    That's odd because they advertise an "ultra fast FET response". The original 1176 has a super fast attack time of 20uS to 800uS.

-Frank

Fuzzbass likes this.
  12. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    Yeah, I don't know what to say. My ashly has a fast response in that range, and there is no initial clack unless I set it that way. My old lmb3 doesn't do it either.

13. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Two new pieces of news!

First, my engineer was able to find a way to fit the circuitry for a DIP switch to select between Tough and Suave versions, for the next round to be produced. It is not (at this time) available for retrofitting the ones from the current production run. So I have ordered the new production, which might land around September/October.

Secondly, I was pleased to discover that one of my recent customers is James Eller from THE THE, and he wrote to say he absolutely loves the Smoothie, and is currently using it on tour. My first famous user that I know of!

14. scubaduba

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    Very cool. Great news and the Smoothie is fantastic.

15. boomertech

boomertech Frank Appleton Supporting Member Commercial User

Apr 8, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Designer/Owner of FEA Labs
    That's great news Cyrus!:thumbsup:

One question, did the VCA Smoothie also have a battery snap?

-Frank

16. Ross McLochness

Ross McLochness Living Room Bassist Extraordinaire Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2013
    Eden Prairie, MN
    Sweet, I’ll wait for the next round.
    Cyrus - are you accepting pre-orders?

17. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Yes, it had a door, a battery box, and fixed "prongs", rather than a snap tab on flexy wires.
    I'm still leery about pre-orders, but I'll post here to give everyone a heads-up on timing.

Ross McLochness and jbybj like this.
  18. scubaduba

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    The more I use the Smoothie the more I dig it. It's such a great all around versatile compressor. What do others think?

DirtyDuke likes this.
  19. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

Love it. I got the Tough version, and I'm glad I did, because my two other compressors -- Empress and Cali76 G-P (big box!) -- are great at letting attack through.

By blending in dry signal, I can get plenty of attack with the Tough Smoothie. But I also like that the Tough is a little more squashy (so to speak) than my other compressors. It's nice to have a comp in my collection that has some natural mojo to it. The Diamond I once owned did that, but did not play well with my active basses. The Smoothie does!

DirtyDuke, kringle77 and bongomania like this.
  20. Robal

Robal Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Do you expect much of a price increase for the DIP switch version?