Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ow! I hurt myself! Anybody know a cure?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by 5intheface, May 23, 2005.

1. 5intheface

5intheface

Dec 18, 2004
    I was at a show a few weeks ago when my friends' band were on stage. One of thier percussionists wasn't there, so they asked me to fill in on handrums.

I am not a hand drummer in the least, but I did it because you can't say no, you know? Well sure enough my dumb ass came down on the rim of the cong wrong and I think I bruised the corner of my thumb on my right hand.

Yeah, the slapping thumb, it sucks. I can still slap (barely) and it hurts really bad if I come down on it wrong. It's been like this for a couple of weeks, what's wrong?

Has this happened to anybody else? Know of a good remedy? I appreciate the help.

Thanks in advance.

2. metalguy2

metalguy2

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    sounds like a bone bruise....

3. 5intheface

5intheface

Dec 18, 2004
    What's best to do about that? I'm icing it now and it seems to be helping....

There is also a bump I failed to mention the first time, it is small and slightly bruise coloured so yes, you may be right.

4. bonscottvocals

bonscottvocals

Feb 10, 2005
    Upstate NY
    I know you don't want to hear this, but stay off it! It's like a runner doing a 10k on a twisted ankle, not good.

See a Dr. because the lump and discoloration may be a fracture. If you got over-zealous, you may have broken your thumb. That's going to take a few weeks to heal. Don't wait, see the DOCTOR!

5. bonscottvocals

bonscottvocals

Feb 10, 2005
    Upstate NY
    To add, you don't bruise a bone, you bruise the tissue (I know I sound like I'm nit-picking). You break, fracture, or chip bone. The bruise may be a result of a fracture or it could be the result of a sprain or strain. Only and X-Ray and a Dr's reading can tell for sure.

See a Doctor!