1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ow! I hurt myself! Anybody know a cure?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by 5intheface, May 23, 2005.

1. 5intheface

5intheface

Dec 18, 2004
    I was at a show a few weeks ago when my friends' band were on stage. One of thier percussionists wasn't there, so they asked me to fill in on handrums.

I am not a hand drummer in the least, but I did it because you can't say no, you know? Well sure enough my dumb ass came down on the rim of the cong wrong and I think I bruised the corner of my thumb on my right hand.

Yeah, the slapping thumb, it sucks. I can still slap (barely) and it hurts really bad if I come down on it wrong. It's been like this for a couple of weeks, what's wrong?

Has this happened to anybody else? Know of a good remedy? I appreciate the help.

Thanks in advance.

2. metalguy2

metalguy2

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    sounds like a bone bruise....

3. 5intheface

5intheface

Dec 18, 2004
    What's best to do about that? I'm icing it now and it seems to be helping....

There is also a bump I failed to mention the first time, it is small and slightly bruise coloured so yes, you may be right.

4. bonscottvocals

bonscottvocals

Feb 10, 2005
    Upstate NY
    I know you don't want to hear this, but stay off it! It's like a runner doing a 10k on a twisted ankle, not good.

See a Dr. because the lump and discoloration may be a fracture. If you got over-zealous, you may have broken your thumb. That's going to take a few weeks to heal. Don't wait, see the DOCTOR!

5. bonscottvocals

bonscottvocals

Feb 10, 2005
    Upstate NY
    To add, you don't bruise a bone, you bruise the tissue (I know I sound like I'm nit-picking). You break, fracture, or chip bone. The bruise may be a result of a fracture or it could be the result of a sprain or strain. Only and X-Ray and a Dr's reading can tell for sure.

See a Doctor!