Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ow... my arm

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by SuperDuck, Dec 12, 2002.

1. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Yesterday I got my tetanus/diptheria inoculation. My current school pointed out that I didn't have this one yet, and then point out that they would fine me $50 if I DIDN'T get the shot at their next session 'o free shots.

So I went. The shot was no big deal. The needle was in my arm for a half a second, at most. I laughed and took my cookie and juice and left the room...

And my arm began to ache. I got the shot right on the side of my arm, a few inches down from my shoulder. The pain became worse as the day went on. That was yesterday, and at this point, I can barely lift my arm above my head without excruciating amounts of pain. What's up with that?

BTW, there is no bruising. I"ve had blood drawn before, and the nurse hit a something or other and had a bigass bruise, but there are no marks. Just lots 'o pain.

2. WIMP :p

Thats the tetanus shots for ya. They did it to me. I tend to do a lot of work around the house, also fixing strange people's PA gear etc... thank god for tetanus shots! :eek:

*wow thats rusty... wow thats bleeding now* :rolleyes:

:D:D

Merls

3. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    It's good to know I can count on your for sympathy and compassion. ;)

I'm no stranger to needles, which is why this is such a big deal. Due to some younger-adult medical problems, I was getting shots on a weekly basis and have had more blood work done than most. I'm USED to getting poked. But this HURTS, dagnabbit.

4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    You poor poor fellow, sit down and let me get you a cookie... wimp

j/k mine hurt like a (female dog) when I last got one too

5. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    My last tetanus shot didn't really hurt afterwards. I guess it's just different for different people.

brad cook

6. Oh man I know your pain. it shoud go away in a couple of days,,. ..last month I got reinoculated/immunization... had four shots two in each arm, then a week later two more...

Fetch!

7. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Yep, every tetanus shot has done that to me - very achey arm for a couple of days! Always the same!
    It will ease off afetr a couple of days, then you can forget about it for a few years!

8. Thats funny mine barely hurt. Maybe there not as bad here in Australia...... or maybe we're a bit tougher:D

BTW: no cookie OR juice :mad:

9. We got a jelly baby! when i was at school :p

:D:D

Merls

10. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Jelly baby? What in the hell are you talking about? A jelly bean? Do you eat babies? I KNEW it! I had this theory that Australians eat babies, and this is what I needed. Thank you.

And I go to a private college. Considering the amounts of tuition my parents and I pay every year, I should have gotten a fricken' buffet.

11. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    My last tetanus booster got me pretty sick. I couldnt move my arm much for about a day, and I got a 102 fever. At least I got to stay home from school.

12. punkfunkfreak

punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    i missed that jab. My friends all had it done, the actual injection doesnt hurt its just afterwards they were all in pain. The point where they had the injection swelled up and they hated it when i poked the mark ;)

I probs have tb now..:( i gotta go doctors and tell them i missed the jab about a year ago :S

13. Johnny BoomBoom

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

Well, we eat jelly babies in the UK too! I always eat them head first!:D

14. Johnny BoomBoom

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Aren't you thinking of the BCG - the anti Tuberculosis (TB - the disease, not this fine forum!!) injection!

I can't see my mark now - it's been tattooed over! Although I can still see the smallpox vaccination scar!

If you think the tetanus jab is bad, I got a shock when I got a pneumonia jab! I normally get the flu jab - I've got asthma, so in th UK I qualify for it! The nurse asked me if I wanted a pneumonia jab as well. I thought OK, two birds with the one stone!

Well, my arm got really painful, got all swollen, and it went bright red over about 1/3 the length of my arm (either side of my elbow). I let a doc see it - he said that's normal for that injection!!!:eek:

15. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Ahhhh.....Jelly Babies...Surely one of Gods Finest Confections...

BTW.

Try putting a green jelly baby in a microwave - they explode! (only the green ones.....weird)

16. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    yeah it does get sore.. However if you tense up when they give you the shot, It'll make the pain worse... maybe thats what you did

17. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    You're wimps, all of ya!

At my last physical, I had to get a tetanus shot, a Hepatitus B, and the test thing for teberculosis (sp?)

In the test for TB, they take the needle and make a bubble under your skin of the fluid. The needle doesn't go into muscle, it just barely goes in sub-dermaly. It makes a bubble on the outside, and it HURTS! It was a lot worse then my tetanus shot, which BTW didn't really hurt at all :p

18. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    oh yeah...the square needle. i've had a couple right in the butt...the thing about tetanis shots is the stuff isn't easily absorbed by your tissues. following the tetanus shots i've received (in the hiney) i was directed to sit on my butt and kinda roll around on it for about a half hour to work it around...it was sore for a couple hours, but nothing like what you describe...i feel your pain, yo

19. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    MMR shots burn big time. not confidence inspiring that i was getting dead or weakened forms of the microbes. (correct?)

20. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    yes indeedy...