"Ow my back." Post your stories on real ship anchors of basses you've owned,

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Blazer, Jul 23, 2004.

1. Blazer

Nov 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Rogue luthier employed at Knooren Handcrafted bass guitars
    Let's share out experiences of pain that come with owning and playing a real anvil with strings.

Out of all the basses I've owned over the years my Aria Pro 2 SB700 would be the heaviest.

I bought this bass for a rediculous low amount of money, 175 Dutch Guilder which should be around 75 Euro and 80 US Dollar. It's basically a passive version of the famous Aria SB 1000 bass which shares it through neck construction and beautyfull figured Ash body. It also sounded terriffic, very clear and deep.

...But playing it also threatened to change my physique. I really felt like the hunchback of the Notredame when using that bass on a gig. Eventually I decided that comfort goes before beauty and I sold it, making the real life thread of a hernia go away.
  2. hondo8671

Apr 22, 2004
    peavey t-40 ouch!!!! :crying:
  3. dcr

dcr Supporting Member

4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    My GT-BD7 was about 14 pounds, and my current fretless is about 13. Not hard on the back so long as you're in shape. Although now I DO have a hernia, so no playing the fretless standing up for a while.
  5. bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Kramer DMZ-6000B.

Aluminum necked beast which sounded GREAT.

It recorded well. It weighed 14 pounds.
  6. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Hehehe, lookin' sharp there, Bovine!

My fretted weighs in at 9 or 10lbs. Kinda heavy, but nothing like that Kramer!
  7. nivagues

Jan 18, 2002
    My 79 'Ray weighs in at a little over 15 lbs...sounds good though :smug:

8. My TBC weighs 10 lbs. And my Geddy weighs 11 lbs.

My heaviest bass weighed about...14 pounds.
  9. bigcatJC

Jul 9, 2004
    My first bass, a Hondo II P-bass copy. The neck, I guess, was maple. The body was particle board - no joke. I don't know how much it weighed, but it felt like at least 12 pounds.
  10. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    My Aria SB-1000 is very heavy, tough to play for extended periods.

My old Warwick Thumb 5 was a coffee table, I remember having backache for the first six months I owned it until I got used to the weight. I put up with it for ten years, then it just got a bit much for me.
  11. Aria SB1000 and an old Peavey T-40 :bassist:
  12. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    The GT-7 is a bit heavy too, but mainly because of the neck, extremely unbalanced, the old Samick MM copy I owned tough was heavier and was a 5 string.
  13. JT's double neck is like....26 lbs.

Too bad he's built. He could wine about his back pain here too.
  14. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Well I am a seriously sturdy and strong boy. That's the upside of being fat. But I cringe with the memory of how heavy my T40 was.

I would estimate, and mind you this is just an estimate based on memory, that it weighed approximately 3,062 pounds.

15. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Warwick Corvette 15lbs...

Most Warwicks are too heavy.....
  16. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Gah...I can't imagine a four string weighing more than 10lbs.
  17. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    My Ric is my heaviest bass, so I can't complain :p.
    My thumb is suprisingly light.
    The joke's on you :p.
  18. Niels Keijzer

Niels Keijzer Guest

Nov 27, 2000
    This is just because I've never owned a bass that was too heavy, couldn't make up any nice story, but still felt like adding something to this thread: a good (wide) strap can make the difference between a bass that is killing your back and one that is very manageable.
  19. Judging by the weight, I think I now own your old T-40!
  20. Stinkoman20xx

Oct 19, 2003
    My aluminum kramer is my heaviest. It weighs around 14 pounds as well.