1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Owen Biddle, The Roots & Jimmy Fallon

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Mar 17, 2009.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Who has seen Owen Biddle, along with The Roots on Jimmy Fallon's Late Night Show on NBC? I think it is wild that a major band like that would take a house band gig on a TV show, but they sure sound good. I checked them out backing Public Enemy this morning. Biddle for gave a clinic on backing a rap group! I thought he was super tight, and of course, ?uestlove was a monster! I finally got to hear Owen's Junk too (his Callowhil bass.) I thought the Junk sounded good, but I need to hear more before I totally believe the hype.:bassist:

2. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    The show just ended here, they sounded great! I can't watch talk shows, so if I'm home I just tune into the last 5 mins to catch the musical guests, I wasn't disappointed!

3. owenbiddle

owenbiddle

Apr 17, 2008
    Many thanks! I'm proud of the show, and I think it'll be a cool forum for music for years to come. We got a lot of great feedback on the PE performance. But the best was on the walk to 30 Rock, from rehearsal today. Ahmir and I ran into Will Lee! He's been watching, and had a lot of nice things to say, which meant a lot.

4. Rano Bass

Rano Bass

Sep 9, 2006
    Tijuana Mex.
    Cool, congrats on the show. :cool:

Can you post a good pic of your bass? ;)

5. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    It's great to hear from you, and continued success with Jammy Fallon and all the other tings you do. I agree with Rano Bass, post a nice picture of your Junk or Junks.:)

6. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I haven't seen Owen playing on The Jimmy Fallon show (we don't get it here in the UK), but I caught Owen playing with the Roots in London late last year and it was a great show with some really tight bassplaying by Owen. I was at the gig with Steve Lawson and Steve seemed to dig the show as well. Is the Fallon stuff available online for viewing in the UK?

7. jeremyr

jeremyr

Sep 4, 2006
    Maywood, IL

Come to chicago and you can play my 2 J(unks).

8. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Deal.:cool:

9. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I checked that show out again last night. They are the coolest house band ever to be on television by a long shot! Even the comedy bits are killer. Jimmy Fallon did a bit called "Slow Jamming the News" where he discussed A.I.G. with love song background music and singing that was totally killer!:D Too bad I have to go to work in the morning.:smug:

10. owenbiddle

owenbiddle

Apr 17, 2008
    Later this week, we're going to have our first musical sit-in guest jamming with the band. I don't want to spoil the surprise, but anyone interested in bass guitar... or music in general... should definitely, DEFINITELY stay tuned.

I haven't taken any good pictures of my J6, or 5 even. Somebody put this up on Flickr (along with a few mildly embarassing, O-face pics of me... it must be difficult not to catch me in that state):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pirlouiiiit/3370813160/sizes/l/in/photostream/

11. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That's a great looking bass, Owen! I have to get up early. nut I will try to catch your show this week.:)

12. We get the show here in Aus. so I'll keep an eye out for this & yr bass playing Owen. Congrats on the gig!!! Jimmy really seems to have lifted the show........in many ways!! ;-)

13. mrniceguy715

mrniceguy715

May 2, 2006
    oklahoma
    wow the six looks great!! My lil boy loves your 5 he is only 16 months old but when we watch noggin and that "lovely love my family" thing from yo gabba gabba comes on he goes nuts then goes and tries to grab my basses lol

14. Oric

Oric

Feb 19, 2008
    Georgetown, Kentucky
    I must ask Owen, what's it like playing with a sousaphone player? It certainly makes the low end really fat (not that it wasn't fat to begin with!), and I've entertained the idea of playing sousaphone in a funk setting (I do play tuba, but most bands seem to want a bassist more...)

15. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I see the guest is Tal Wilkenfeld, cool!:cool:

16. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Oh man, I'm going to have to check out that clip if it's online! The Roots are backing PE doing the entire Nation of Millions album at their annual picnic on June 6th in Philly, and I'm really tempted to go to that show for that and the rest of the great lineup. I saw the Roots in '05 with Hub, and they just killed! One of the best shows I've ever seen, and I've seen quite a few.

ETA for those interested: http://rootspicnic.com/

17. stingray56funk

stingray56funk Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta
    Tal on the show! Sounds awesome tonight!

18. Isn't it a nice surprise?

19. GregC

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Owen, congrats on the gig! What a great band to be in. Should've known you were a TB'er. Hope I get to the picnic!

20. GregC

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    I played one of Jeremy's at a GTG two months ago. It was a monster! Nice meeting you there.:cool: