1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Owing identical 4 and 5 strings (Cirrus)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jnprather, Sep 16, 2008.

1. Hi guys,

For many years my main bass was a Warwick Thumb 5. I loved it. But the tight spacing made slapping a pain and I never was happy with the slap tone. So, a few years ago I picked up a Bubinga/Walnut Peavey Cirrus 4 string for that purpose, and ended up falling in love with it for more things than just slap.

Well, fast forward to today, and i'm seriously considering picking up a 5-string Cirrus. I am a huge fan of the wood combo on my current Cirrus, and am tempted to get a similar 5-string version.

I'm concerned that I will end up unhappy having two almost identical basses like that. It seems like, for the most part, TBers seem to tend to have somewhat different basses for their 4 and 5 strings, and I can't remember seeing someone show off their collection and have identical 4 and 5 string versions of the same bass.

Part of me thinks that if I do this I will eventually find that the 4 string gets no use (which is not all bad, I can always sell that and get something else. Part of me thinks that I should at least get a slightly different wood combination, but i'm not a huge fan of the Maple basses, and even though there is a really nice Walnut/Walnut Cirrus in the classifieds here, it just doesn't suit my eye like the Bubinga/Walnut combination.

I'm curious what others think.

2. BrickIsRed

BrickIsRed

Sep 16, 2008
    I would want each bass to be different so you have a wider variety of sounds, and you didn't pay just for an extra string.

3. To me I have different uses for a 4 and a 5. 4s are better slappers in general since you don't have to mute as much (which is not really that big of a deal), and are good for "classic" or vintage bass sounds. 5s are more versatile with their greater range and positioning options, so I prefer them to be a bit more modern in sound and construction.

I think if you like the 4 string Cirrus but want the greater range, a 5-string Cirrus is a fine choice.

4. MyUsernameHere

MyUsernameHere ?????????????

Nov 3, 2007
    Lexington KY
    Walnut/Walnut's the way to go!

Kidding.;) If I was you, and I loved the wood combo, I'd buy a five string in that combination, sell the four string and use that money to buy something completely different.

However, if you haven't played very much five string you might find you prefer the four.

5. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    I own a Cirrus 4 and simple love it, but keep in mind that Cirrus 5 have tighter string spacing which might me a problem for you. Have you already considered that ?

6. Yeah, and I actually like tighter spacing on a 5 (my current 5 is a Warwick Thumb with a 16.5mm spacing). I was thinking because of that I might still prefer the 4 string for slapping and would still be happy with both.

7. I have 5 Cirri and none are identical. I have 2 with the same wood, but different bridges (AMB and Kahler). The walnut Cirri are great for that Ken Smith snappy tone. If I want something aggressive, I grab that one. The alder bodied Cirri with pao fero fingerboards have a much more mellow tone. I find them to be a more utility bass.

8. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    With wooden basses, there ain't so such thing as "identical", so don't worry about it. Personally I only buy basses I've played, and the purchase is based on what THIS bass does, not what the catalog or the "conventional wisdom" says it'll sound like.

jte

9. lposavad

lposavad Supporting Member