1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Own a J-Bass, thinking about the P...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by WhiskeyMan13, Mar 16, 2009.

1. WhiskeyMan13

WhiskeyMan13

Mar 11, 2009
    Who'd have thunk it? I've contracted the sickness that seems to hit all Fender players: once you get a J/P bass, you end up wanting the other one too. Currently I have a MIM Fender 70'S J-Bass, sunburst with a black pg, pearl inlays, etc. While I can't afford the MIA P-bass, I was wondering what MIM options there are. I mean, I've begun shopping around, but obviously each write up is pimping the item out. I'm not interested in a P/J hybrid (that's why I have the Jazz), I'm looking for the fat tone the P provides! Any info on MIM P-Bass syles that you all enjoy?

2. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    The Squier Classic Vibe series gets a long of love.

The '09 MIM Standards got a bunch of upgrades too, although a used MIA P could be bough used for $800 of less.

3. stingray56funk

stingray56funk Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta
    I'd look at the MIM 50's Classic Series P Bass. Really well regarded here at TB as well as I've played one and loved it! Great fit and finish with tone to boot! I'd also consider trying out a used MIM Standard P. A church that I play at in town has a stock late 90's MIM P and it plays and sounds wonderful.

4. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    This is going to be the overwhelming favorite, but I'll say it anyways because it's true.

The MIM Classic 50's P-bass is what you want. Trust me. Now, it is a little wider at the nut than a modern P-bass and the reverse tuners will mess with your head at first. But, the tone is 100% grade-A P-bass and its plays very nicely. It would be the perfect complement to your MIM Classic 70s Jazz bass IMO.

5. TheCush

TheCush

Jul 15, 2008
    Portland, OR
    For what it's worth, I found one of those deals that made me bite the bullet and buy. 2008 Fender Highway One P-Bass (tobacco sunburst/rosewood fingerboard). Made in America, but the finish is matte, so theoretically you get MIA quality at a lower cost. I managed to find mine at a local shop for $640, and got a screaming deal on a G&G tweed case. Spent the money and haven't looked back.

6. stingray56funk

stingray56funk Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta
    That is a sweet deal even for a used Highway 1. Nice score! If you could find that kind of deal than certainly do it. If not...grab a MIM Classic 50's and call it a tone day!

7. WhiskeyMan13

WhiskeyMan13

Mar 11, 2009
    Thanks for the quick info. I had even entertained the idea of making one (I've never tried, so the wiring is the most intimidating part of the construction for me); essentially I'd love to recreate Entwistles Frankenstein P-bass. I know he used to as his stage bass for a least 5 years, including Live at Leeds and Isle of Wight, both of which ruined live music for me for a while, because it blew me away.

8. Careful.
    Once you buy a Precision you'll never buy anything else.

9. meatwad

meatwad

Apr 9, 2008
    Smallville, USA
    I played Jazzes for years, because I couldn't understand why anyone would want a Precision. Then I fell in love with one and bought it, and the P my favorite Fender....

Well, besides the StingRay. :bag:

10. Low Main

Low Main Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Massachusetts
    I guess my twist is a little different. By accident and default, I ended up with multiple P/J pickup basses and grew to love them.

Didn't much care for the regular J and wasn't really interested in a regular P.

Tried a few P basses. Shrugged my shoulders.

The Squier Classic Vibe 60's P totally knocked me out. Had to get one. I reach for it all the time. Still has the stock strings on it and is a blast to play and sounds great (and I usually avoid roundwounds).

I thought maybe I got lucky and found a really good one, but I found out that lots of other people love the 60's CV.

Sonic blue not my favorite color, but it becomes much easier to handle with a mint green guard.

The only downside: price got bumped from 299.00 to 349.00

Still a great bass regardless of cost.

11. I understand not wanting a P/J hybrid, but don't knock it until you try it. Having the option there is always nice.

I had both a MIA J and P, and would reach for the J all the time. Now I have an Aerodyne J, and I play that almost exclusively. A sin, I know, but I can't help it. Its a beast, and just sounds right and plays perfectly.

12. jtc_hunter

jtc_hunter

Feb 16, 2007
    A post like yours is always going to attract more "P" favored responses. Common sense , right? I have had both for a long time and my honest opinion is that ( for me), the P sounds great outside,in small venues, and definitely in the studio. For medium to larger indoor gigs, I think the Jazz cuts thru the mix better, and (again, for me) the neck is much better for intricate play. With my setup, I can make my Jazz sound alot like a P, but I cant make the P sound like the Jazz. JMHO

13. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    When i got back to playing it was all Fender jazzes and i thought i would never change. I then started listening to all those old groovy basslines and found almost all were done on a P bass and alot with flatwound strings. I tried to like a P but couldnt...until i tried it with a band :) That is where it really kicked in. I sold all my jazzes to fund my P bass lust.

I agree on the MIM 50's classic it is a awsome! I love mine and bought it over a choice of a new hwy 1 or a like new 02' MIA P bass. It is all american except for the paint and assembly in mexico. You can also find a nice used or older new MIM and go from there. I have an aguave Blue MIM P i bought used for less than 200 bucks at a GC. Its awsome with a set of 62 RI pups and american re-issue bridge. It sounds better than my friends 78 P..he even agreed.
    The new MIMs are nice but are pushing alot of bread. I would find an older model but if i were you go 50's classic. IMO as well as others around here and other boards this might be Fenders best P bass for the money.

14. CosmicRay

CosmicRay Supporting Member

Had a J since '72 - always the bass of choice for me. Even with the Pedulla Buzz,
    Modulus Q-4 and recently acquired re-issue '64 J
    It seems to be the one getting the most work....

15. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Unless you can find a killer deal on a Highway One or American Standard, this is the way to go. Every one I've played has the strong acoustic resonance that, IMO, characterizes the best basses.

16. NOVAX

NOVAX

Feb 7, 2009
    Kalifornia
    The dark side is calling you, good. The force is strong in this one.
    You have come to what has been coined as the "Precision Decision"
    I have 4 words for you: Made/Crafted in Japan.

17. WRXbase

WRXbase

Jan 14, 2009
    Clayton, NC
    Do what you want, just don't let your J bass know ... unless it's cheating on you with another player and you don't care. :p