1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Own a Mesa 400+ - looking for a cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lemmiwinks, Apr 21, 2010.

1. lemmiwinks

lemmiwinks

Jul 16, 2009
    Hey people,

I own a Mesa 400+ and blew up my Eden 212 with it, yesterday.

I play it a rock n' roll outfit; white stripes/pixies meets radiohead, kinda.

I was thinking of either picking up an ampeg 810 or a mesa 1200. I realise that these are very different sounding cabs, but was looking for some insight.

I have heard great and bad things about the Mesa 1200. I just rented one today(haven't played it yet) and am going to play it for the next couple weeks. Maybe after that rent a ampeg 810.

The mesa is used and is going for 1000 Canadian.

Any stunning reviews for either item? Has anyone tried both?

My bass tone is fairly fat and overdriven (cranked amp)
    I play through a G and L - L2000, with the humbuckers, instead of the coil tap.

2. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    I used to play my 400+ through a Bergantino NV610 which sounded pretty good to me - it was quite a step up from the Mesa Diesel 215 which it replaced.

3. Knifedge

Knifedge

Jan 24, 2009
    I had a 400+ playing through two Ampeg 410 HLF cabs, and handled the cabs easily, and vise versa. I am sure I could have blown the walls off of any bar with that rig, the ampeg cabs worked quite well with the 400+.

4. lorenk

lorenk

Apr 8, 2008
    Bend, Oregon
    I use a GK 4x10BLX (I spent all my money on the 400+ lol), and I have to say it isn't bad sounding, and sits pretty well in the mix. I also like my BagEnd S-15D, which doesn't shake the house as much when I'm practicing.

I like the lack of tweeters in my cabs, since I use Fenders (and my PJ hums...sigh), very reduced hum is nice.

I don't like mixing speaker sizes, I'm anal about that...and OCD. I like my speaker sizes to match. Something to think about :)

5. cliffbass1

cliffbass1

Jun 1, 2003
    Minnesota
    I'm using a SWR Workingmans 4x10, sounds pretty good to me :D i think massive cabs are kinda useless unless you playing a huge venue i'd stick with a 4x10 or 6x10 max :D

6. garmenteros

garmenteros Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    I use mine with a powerhouse 1000. Sounds pretty good. It is a pain to move though. This cab is very articulate. I also ran it with two single 15 mesa cabs and did not like that set up at all.

7. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    Another vote for the Bergantino NV610 here. I used to gig a Mesa 1516be with my 400+ but sold it off soon after discovering how much better the sound and feel of my NV610 sat in the mix with my rock bands.

8. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    The mesa deisel 215 is a mighty cab, but the Bergantino "NV" series are tops. The discontinued NV215 would be my first choice, followed by the NV610.

9. Said it before and will say it again!

Mesa Amps+Mesa Cabs=Tonal Bliss! ;)