Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Own an Avalon U5 AND a 2-ch. compressor?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bigbajo60, Feb 24, 2005.

1. bigbajo60

bigbajo60

Nov 7, 2003
    Laredo, Texas
    I do... my compressor is a Presonus ACP-22.

Channel 1 takes the signal from the Avalon's line out and sends it to my rig's power amp.
    Channel 2 takes the Avalon's mic out, which then goes to FOH.

My question is to those of you who have plenty of experience with your own signal processing:
    Is it advisable for me to compress the mic out signal BEFORE sending it down the line to the FOH mixer? Or is the preferrable method to compress the FOH bass signal at the mixing desk?
    In other words, am I potentially "messing up" the level or integrity of the signal that the FOH is getting?

Thanx!

2. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I use a PreSonus BlueMax before my Avalon. Actually I do everything (chorus, etc.) before the Avalon so it all goes to the FOH and my amp.

3. My experience is to send the FOH the signal you want the audience to hear,... just go reallllllly easy. For example, if you want the signal compressed, don't squash it. If you want some chorus, don't lay it on really thick.

My signal is Bass into ME-50B (with slight compression always on) into amp with Pre EQ DI out of the amp. I then add a little more limiting with the adjustable limiter on the amp.

4. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Always real easy...

I need to experiment with my SansAmp and th eAvalon. I currently use one or the other. I'd like to be able to put some growl of the BDDI in with the deep rich Avalon.

5. bigbajo60

bigbajo60

Nov 7, 2003
    Laredo, Texas
    Yeah, I'll be experimenting as well... but I just wanted to know if there were any "veterans 'o audio" that could impart their opinions and cumulative wisdom! :smug:

Thanx for the responses!