Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Own Many, But 1 Fave??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pointbass, Oct 3, 2005.

1. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Like a lot of other TBers's, I'm lucky enough to have several basses to choose from. But I find myself reaching for my favorite more and more, to the point where I'm hardly touching any of the others ..... :(

About 8 months ago I bought an FBB fretless 6 from TBer Jon Chewning, and it has changed my bass playing life. Over the past 8 months I've sold off seven basses (three 4's, two 5's, one 6 and one 7) due to non-use, and my remaining two 4's and fairly new-to-me GT7, while cool, are regularly getting left behind (actually, one of the 4's, an '86 MIJ Jazz Special, goes to every gig as backup).

I don't know if it's the specific bass itself, or the bass builder (Matt Schmill makes great stuff), or the fretless 6 theory, or something else, but I've gotten to the point where this is the only bass I want to play. I truthfully don't even have any more Jerzy, Roscoe or Low End GAS anymore :eek:

Any other multiple bass owners out there that have settled into one preferred bass? If so, have you thought about off-loading the others :confused:

...... now, if I can only get James Hart's Schroeders out of my head :rolleyes: .....

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I can't go down to one, but I have two. My Zon and my Nordstrand.

I have to force myself to play the others.

3. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    i have owned everything under the sun... must have gone thru dozens of basses. while i still have a couple laying around including one i just put together, nothing touches my F Bass bn5- so much so that i may now sell everything to get another for backup- to me, they are the Holy Grail

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Will eventually sell some but I doubt I'll be down to one bass anytime soon. I like variety.

5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I've owned many at various times throughout my career and have rarely had a favorite. Right now it's a toss-up between my Fender RB5 and Sadowsky P5. I've been playing the Sadowsky almost exclusively since I got it... but that's simply because it's a pound or two lighter than my RB5 (the P5 has a chambered alder body).

6. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    My Natural Sadiowsky 24F5 is my holy grail but I haven't played it in a while. I don't think I'll ever sell but if I have to, I have no problems selling it.

I have so many basses and I usually like to play them all from my Fender Geddy Lee.. ESP J-Four... Valenti Geddy Vee and everything inbetween.

Yeah, I like J styled basses. :)

7. One bass only - Like that style.

8. pointbass

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    :D Now that's an understatement! :D

Don't see me ever getting down to only one either, I always feel like a fretted and fretless 4 need to be immediately available, for some weird reason ..... must be my roots ;)

9. Groover

Groover

Jun 28, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    I have a Stingray 4, 2 MIJ Jazz Bass Specials (like your good 'ol reliable backup), and a cheap GTX fretless. I keep reaching for one my Jazz Bass Special. At night, when I'm feeling mellow at home, I grab my freless.

Funny thing is the Stingray is the nicest looking one and cost me the most, but it's the one that gets played the least....

10. pointbass

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    ..... and, oh yeah, thanks, Nino :rollno: I'm now day dreaming about your 5er ever since the NYC GTG .... :cool:

11. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    I've narrowed it down to two. My F Bass BN5 and my MTD535.

12. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    My favorite is my 2003 MIA Jazz with Fralins, which always gets the job done and feels great. But for some reason, I keep reaching for my P-bass these days. It just feels like home, and my lazy brain likes the simplicity.

I could never get it down to one bass, but I'm pretty happy with three. And if I have to force myself to play something, it goes, no matter how great it sounds ('94 MIJ P-bass) or feels ('99 Am. Dlx. Precision).

13. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    Here's most of mine, I've added a few since the photo was taken. My fave is the Rickenbacker 4003FG.
    [​IMG]

14. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    :eek: I hope that wasn't you lurking in the bushes outside the other night! :eek:

Seriously, I know the feeling! I got my 6 a year and a half ago and it rendered all my other basses obsolete :bassist:

15. the_home

the_home Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Pensacola, FL
    While I enjoy playing all of the basses I am lucky enough to call mine (currently numbering 9) I almost always reach for my Modulus Q4 for gigging. :bassist:

I don't see myself unloading any at this time, really. I play them all at home or in the studio, and some ('67 EB2, Ric Chris Squire) I'd rather not subject to the 'stress' of taking to gigs.

16. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I have 6 basses and always reach for the 98 MIA Jazz over all. Since I got it last year, it's just about all I ever play anymore. But on fly gigs I'm going to take the Bradley Steinberger copy because of the crap I've been getting about carrying on my Jazz.

17. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    no kiddin! they have been giving me the hardest time and flat out refusing to let me bring my bass onboard- so i got an skb rw 44 bass safe and i check it now, no more stressed out plane rides! when i check into the hotel, i take out the bass gig bag and all, then do it again at fly time/

18. chris h

chris h Guest

Jun 16, 2002
    Oxford, England
    Intresting topic. Although we all like to have a few and say they all suit different moods and so on, I think we all secretly have a fave deep down. I can testify that I have gone through a few top luthiers basses in my search for the one and have landed with my current two, both of which suit me well. My Vigier Passion is perfect for my funk metal band, it just sounds so clear and almost digital because of the graphite and powerful bridge set pickups. After many shows with it I am just really comfortable with it and confident of its reliablility and sound.

The second is my 'do it all' bass, my alembic elan 6, great for anything you can throw at it. HAs a superb mix of tones and did away with more than one bass in its stride. I could not be happier with these two, but if I had to choose one to say it is 'my sound' or 'my signature/fave bass' it would have to be the Vigier.

19. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I have 12 or 13 currently, but the ones I play the most (by FAR) are my Stingray 4 and my MTD Kingston 5 with active Bart pre and Bart pickup.

20. i had bought/sold at least 20 when i was younger, but through all of it i still only play my '97 MIA Jazz V... plays like butter, sounds like heaven....