1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Own ONE bass club?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Emmaporkchop, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Emmaporkchop

Emmaporkchop Guest

Jun 23, 2009
    It occured to me reading TB last night that in over 30 years playing I've only recently owned multiple basses. I'm sure the majority of us here could get by with just one but it seems like most TB members have multiple basses. Just curious how many here only own one bass, post a pic if possible.
    Or pic the one bass you'd keep out of your current stock.

2. Halegroove

Halegroove Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2010
    N. KY/Cincinnati, OH
    A very good question. I understand having a bass to fit the application, a 4, 5, or even 6. Of course a Fretless too. A P bass, J bass etc..
    Where I question my own self is why do I have multiple basses that do the same thing? I think if the body style, number of frets, neck profile and a host of other factors are different from like bass to like bass, it can be a negative or hinder me getting that relationship and familiarity with a particular bass like Marcus' Jazz, Victor's Fodera, Jaco's Jazz and the list goes on.
    I guess I guess perhaps I don't have the discipline or dedication to do it. And then there's the GAS factor.

3. Gintaras

Gintaras

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    I presently have 4 basses and plan to get down to 3. But if I just kept one then it would be...

MTD Grendel w/ Joe Barden pickups.

PC110031.

4. Emmaporkchop

Emmaporkchop Guest

Jun 23, 2009
    I guess this would be the one I keep, my Sterling I got last summer.

Attached Files:

5. Kuroth

Kuroth

Dec 2, 2012
    One so far.. My Bongo (I dont really count my H-Bass).. Love my Bongo but someday I will probably get some type of Fender P or Fender Jazz (So I feel like I fit in here) :ninja:

But I doubt I will ever own more then 2 or 3 at the most..

(One reason I got the Bongo first was to cut down on any Gas. And it has for sure done that)..

6. micgtr71

micgtr71

Dec 4, 2012
    I have owned a number of basses since the late 1980s. From my memory were a Cort Jazz, 79 Ric 4001, 87 CIJ P, 76 P, Seinberger XL2, Stingray, Sterling, Jazz MIM, Jazz Fretless, 2 Fretless Ps, A Tobias 5, Modulus Genesis 5, and a partridge in a pear tree. I'm sure that I am missing some.

For the past 10 or so years I have had only one bass, this MIA 1995 Fender J. A couple of months ago my son gave me his Squier Mike Dirnt so I guess I now have 2. If I had to keep one, it would easily be the J. For 10 years it was.

Attached Files:

7. fclefgeoff

fclefgeoff Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2002
    Illinoize
    The most I have ever owned at one time was 3-4 but I currently only own 1. My current and only bass is a 2001 Modulus VJ. Typically, I would be worried about not having some sort of back-up but my Modulus is built like a tank and outside of changing strings and batteries, I have never had any issues with it and I am the original owner so It has lots of miles on it.

I would definitely like to own more but can't swing it financially at the moment. The biggest issue is that I tend to have expensive tastes and I'd rather wait until I can afford another Modulus than settle for something within my budget.

8. jim777

jim777 Tarantula Lobbyist

Aug 7, 2006
    South Jersey
    If I had to get by with only one, it wouldn't likely be any of the ones I've currently got LOL

9. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    Did you buy your second bass before or after joining Talkbass? ;). :D

I currently have four basses - a Stingray 5HH, a Precision 5, a complete Frankenstein built around an SX SJB-62 5 string body, and a 4 string Tobias Toby Pro. It would be REALLY tough to have to choose the one bass I'd keep because they all have something I like most about them, but I'd have to go with the Stingray. For me personally, it has the best combination of feel, overall tone, tonal variety, build quality, and beauty out of those four.

I'll post a picture later.

EDIT: Here's the Stingray:
    medium.

10. Emmaporkchop

Emmaporkchop Guest

Jun 23, 2009
    You really have to wonder how much money TalkBass has cost it's members due to GAS and "best new gear" threads.