own songs at a gig

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by clammit l82, Jun 9, 2001.

1. when u play a gig how much of what u play are songs that u and ur band made up?
  2. My band hasn't done a gig yet, and we deliberately have made it so. We need two more songs and we're set. See we are doing ALL originals, we set down from the beginning that we do no covers. Except we may cover a song of a band who has helped us without even a shirk so we want to do a tribute and a thankyou to them.

We figured why spend the countless hours of work on perfecting a cover that people will ultimately say in the crowd (and i have done it too) "yes but that didnt sound anything like so-and-so".

So yeah thats why we do all originals, plus there is no better satisfaction than knowning we spent 6 hours making our song perfect, rather some one elses.

3. Some good advice there from Merlin.
    I would like to play all originals, and weve got enough songs to do so, but when you are playing in a club the audience generally want to hear songs that they know and can sing along to. They seem to enjoy our originals, but I love to watch people jump up and start singing and dancing when we launch into Roadhouse Blues or All Along The Watchtower, Smoke On The Water or Another Brick In The wall or songs like that that arent staples of cover bands, but are songs that people know and love.
  4. brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    My band is an all-original band too. Or was. We have added a few covers to place in our set every fourth or fifth song.

Doing this allows you to play in a whole lot more types of clubs than strictly original clubs. Those other clubs give you much longer sets and usually pay a lot better too. Also, by doing this you are attracting new fans who would possibly never go to an original club and also keep those cover people into hearing your originals. Kinda strange, but it works.
  5. anubis101

anubis101 Guest

Aug 31, 2000
    Nacogdoches, Tx
    yeah my band plays mostly originals with and occasional cover (usually "ants marching" [DMB]or "all along the watchtower"[dmb stlye])
  6. it depends on where we play. at birthday parties and such we play mostly covers. but at the local club type place we play all our own stuff.
  7. The problem I see with many "original only" artists, is that 3 hours of their music, may not be that good.

Just 'cause it's "original" doesn't mean an audience will like it. In fact, who can be objective of their own music and recognize that some of their own art.......................................MAY SUCK THROUGH A STRAW?

Testing originals with a heavy mix of covers should give any artist an idea of what really works, and what only works in their own head!!!
  8. Well seeing as the setlists for metal have to be a maximum of 45 minutes there is no real room for countless covers, The bands we see play with many bands in pubs and clubs, so the audience varies, i think in my entire time watching metal bands i have only heard 4 covers max.

9. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    The problem with any set is holding the audiences attention. I think that some cover content as well as some subtle style changes (chuck in the ballad) help stop my interest flagging as a punter.

RE the self penned songs sucking. I am close to binning 2 songs cos they just dont seem to work for me after a lot of effort. Shame.
  10. I live in a town where all the popular bands are...Ta Da..Cover bands. Some of the bands do a good job of mixing up thier sets. Origionals heavy in the earliest set, Open up second set w/ a cover and go about a 2:1 ratio Covers:Origional. Third set, Danceable covers about halfway through, then put your strong covers into the mix. Keeps the crowd energy up. Every town is different. Just gotta have a good grasp on the people listening. If you get good attention for one of your slow songs...then rearrange the setlist during the break. It's just a piece of paper.

Chucking origional songs outta the mix happens. But when we play some place that likes more origional stuff and Spontaneity, we'll throw in the songs that didn't get a good reaction other places. We have songs that make for great CD music...but played live...just don't work to well..Sigh. Happens
  11. I really admire an artist or band who recognizes when an original is falling flat. That is so hard and requires a lot of professionalsim and maturity.
  12. Is that maybe why? I mean the two best songs i have written came at 3 in the morning, i just wrote them went back to bed, and the next morning went "wow i wrote that?", and it was easy to music to it.

But the ones where i try and try to write end up coming out like "i tried" and end up enivitably on the scrap heap or cannibalised into better songs.

13. CS

Dec 11, 1999

I find that a riff phrase or couplet appears out of the ether and making it into a song or instrumental is the hard bit. The song that will most likely be binned has a IMHO brilliant intro, the rest sucks through a straw as someone said earlier.

BTW sometimes two disparate pieces written sepaerately join together. I tape a lot of my playing and use what works.
  14. That's how we come up with our best songs. We'll have a round robin sometimes at a practice that we are dedicating to origional practice. Each guitarist plays some riff they've got in their head. Drummer plays along with it, gets a feel for it. Then we'll work for awhile with the song as an instrumental. Singer gets the feeling for the flow of the song, makes suggestions to make the song better. By the next origionals practice, we'll have lyrics and the song about 90% done. But sometimes we keep them as instrumentals longer. Play em for an audience w/o lyrics. Then we'll get the vibe offa the audience as to whether the song is musically solid enough for thier attention. We do this with any song that has an odd vibe/beat that we truely can't figure out exactly what to do with it:) One song like this is the solo monster song. Everyone except rhythm guitar has a 8 bar..or longer..solo. Weeeeee
  15. Stangg

Stangg Guest

Only about 1/5 of our songs are original. We mostly play covers because i don't have time to write any more songs. The other members are just lazy, and can't write their own songs.
    The drummer's thinking though....
  16. Blackbassguitar84

Apr 16, 2000
    My band usually plays 3 originals to 1 cover. This keeps people satisfied. They like hearing new stuff, but they also like stuff they know.
  17. Your band plays ants marching? Thats great! My favourite DMB song. I would love to see it! My band plays all originals except 2 songs. Those at the moment are "Sober" by Tool and "Johnny B Goode"
  18. imagine a slightly emo-ish ska band suddenly breaking into "paperback writer" or "day tripper"

that's us