Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Owner of a Lonely Heart

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by f'nar f'nar, Jan 5, 2005.

1. If anyone has seen the film clip to the 1984 (or 88?) version of this song you catch several glimpes of Chris Squire with a fantastic looking green and black bass. Does anyone know the name of this bass?

2. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I haven't seen the clip but if it's green and black and awesome looking it's his Mouradian.

3. Yes is awesome and Chris Squire is a great bassist. I'm not sure what Chris used to record that album but the work is impeccable (as is nearly all of Yes' stuff).

4. Is this the mouradian bass that we're talking about?

5. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI!

Yes. Jim is fantastic. Works out of the Boston Area

Rob

6. Sorry...that's NOT Chris' bass, but one similar.

Here's the genuine article.

7. Thats the one, im in love with it. Thanks guys! And yes, YES is awsome, i love Chris' work in roundabout, heart of the sunrise and the Fish. He's one of my heroes.

8. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    Yes that is a Mouradian and I just got one of the first ones that Jim built. I got it from Berklee46 who found it on eBay and had it restored by Jim. Here are a few Mouradian pics that I have found.
    [​IMG]
    This is Chris with the first Mouradian CS-74 bass

This is CS-74 number 2 owned by some guy in Japan
    [​IMG]

And this is mine the third (I think) CS- 74 made and the only white one that Jim made
    [​IMG]

You can also find some of the CS-74's that Zilijian built in Japan for sale occasionally at places like Ed Roman's guitars

9. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Yeah it's a cool bass. I liked that video too, I liked how it began with the band just set up in a circle playing. It was an inspiration to me when I was younger, I was like "wow, look at these cool old guys playing!"

Attached Files:

10. Thanks, Rob. :p

11. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    I have a Chris Squire Bass Video he shows that Bass and all his others. As far as owner of a Lonely heart,it is one of our favorite songs,I stomp on the distortion box and play lead
    on the first few bars.

12. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    +2

Yeah, both father and son Mouradians are great. Two of the best repair cats in the Boston/Cambridge area!

13. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    Ed Roman sells copies of the Mouradian.

14. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    Ed Roman sells basses with the rough outline of the Mouradian and has the balls to say "approved by Jim Mouradian" which is not the case as I have spoken to Jim about this. Much like a Ric a Mouradian isn't a Mouradian without its special pickups which were made by Joe Bardin especially for the CS-74. Joe no longer makes these pickups. Ed sells a bass with a body that looks like a CS-74 but it usually a bolt-on neck and whatever pickups you desire. Good luck on getting the Chris Squire tone from them.