Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

owners of bb2005 or trb5pII

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassrx, Jun 17, 2004.

1. bassrx

bassrx

Jun 8, 2004
    RIVERSIDE, USA
    i am lookin into buying one of these two, but i am not able to find them in any local store. if you own any of these, do you have any sound samples? and what is your overall opinion of them. thanks!

2. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    id post a clip of my TRB 5II but at the moment i need new strings..it sounds like im playing a cardboard box :D

3. Frijoles Negros

Frijoles Negros

Mar 21, 2004
    Some previous thread has a guy writing about how he was dissapointed with the bb2005. People seem to like the TRB's

Id like to see some more opinions of the bb2005 myself.

4. TampaBlues

TampaBlues

Oct 28, 2002
    Tampa, Florida
    I've never actually trid the BB2005 but I have heard negative buzz over them myself. I know there was one on ebay for sale recently that was in as new condition with a $630.00 (ballpark) BIN price and no one snagged it up. I sort of thought someone would have bought it considering the price of a new one but it did not sell. Cosmetically they are a very nice looking Bass, but I would be hesitant to get one just on the bad buzz. :meh:

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I've played a few TRB5PIIs - with the piezos in the bridge, exotic woods and individual bridge saddles and was really impressed! Great sound and playability. I have also seen UK Jazz bassist Laurence Cottle at close quarters, using one to great effect - fantastic tone!

I also heard/saw Jamiroquai's (ex-)bassist Nick Fyffe on live TV shows using a new TRB5P and getting a great sound, as well as emulating Stuart Zender's (Warwick) tone perfectly! :)

PS - when I tried them in shops, the only down side was that they were very expensive!!

6. rusty

rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Singapore
    The TRB5PIIs are pretty much top-of-the-line basses from Yamaha, which explains the premium pricing.
    FWIW, a 2nd hand one (where I am at least...) can be had for about SG$2500, which converts into US$1450. That's real value for money if you ask me :D

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well - I've never seen a second hand one - and I was talking about new prices in the UK - probably about twice as much as the US, at least!! :meh:

8. kirbywrx

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    My TRB wasnt cheap, it had a tag price of $2799 AUD, which is $1906 USD or $1040 Pounds, but i managed to get mine for $748 USD :D

9. Frijoles Negros

Frijoles Negros

Mar 21, 2004
    Thats what I call haggling. What did you do? Hold up the place?

10. kirbywrx

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    nah, i know the guy that owns the place. He previously brought the same bass for himself from the shop, then sold it back to pay some bills. He said if i had brought it off him while he still owned it i could have gotten a bigger discount :eek:

11. Frijoles Negros

Frijoles Negros

Mar 21, 2004
    really good price anyway. what a deal.