Owners of GK MB2-500, who has had issues?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ToeJamFootball, Aug 24, 2009.

1. Yes

17 vote(s)
    34.0%
  2. No

33 vote(s)
    66.0%
  1. Hi,

I am trying to decide between a GK and a GB. I have read a fair amount of trouble has come about with the MB2-500s so I ask that anyone who owns or has owned one please tell me whether or not you have had issues using the poll above.

If you have, could you please elaborate in a post and say which revision you bought.

Thanks heaps!

2. Flatty Banks

Flatty Banks

Oct 26, 2008
    California
    I own one right now.

Currently, it's my primary head, and I love it. Regardless, it's a tiny bit buggy (eg. the foot pedal and the MV2 can go off-sync, some buttons are weird), but it's still an amazing amp, being 3 pounds and a full GK sound.

Get it.

3. Cheers.

4. PapaJustice

PapaJustice

Dec 28, 2007
    Boston
    I had major problems with mine. It had this bizarre quirk-- when an XLR cable was plugged into the DI, the eq knobs wouldn't work and the treble knob governed volume, in addition to the regular knobs doing so. About a week after that, it began to randomly just shut off. I returned it and bought a Little Mark II. Haven't had a single problem with it-- great product.

5. Do you know which revision this was? Thanks.

6. :confused: There is a mega thread with a ton of posts about the MB2-500 issues. Not quite sure why you would want all those guys to post up again, and even a bit more confused about why you would consider a head with all those problem posts:meh:

7. Sorry, I just wanted to see it in a poll format. It's one thing to read a bunch of posts about problems, but it's completely different to see how many people had problems vs. how many didn't. For eg. there might be an equal amount of people who have had no issues. :)

I am considering this head because it is very affordable.

8. Be careful on interpreting the number who did not have problems. Even the worst products don't have even close to a 100% failure rate. The 'number' who didn't have problems is not the issue. It's the percent who did (and hence YOUR probability of having a problem if you purchase one) that is key.

I assume one of the reasons they've dropped the price so low on these heads is..... the seemingly very high failure rate.

9. Righto, you present good points. It's such a shame really, I love the GK sound and this head it perfect size for me.

Hmph....

10. GK has been around a long time, and they will get it together on this product IMO. They also seem to be taking very good care of the customers who have problems, so again, not bashing the company so much as pointing out that sometimes a new product arrives with a lot of issues, either due to design problems or production problems.

I would personally not buy a product that shows a much higher failure rate than normal (i.e., 10%+ or so). The probability is just too high that you will fold on a gig.

I will be taking a look at the GK micro amp again (I too like the tone), but not until 2011 or so.

11. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    From what I have read (in the other superlong thread), GK has reworked and fixed these heads, and not many people are having problems with current productions. It's a brand new amp design for them (digital amps) and they had some troubles initially. I bought one from my local GC. It was an production open box demo. I had some weird EQ boost thing happening. It was really boomy and was so loud I couldn't do anything with it. Took it back and told them that something was wrong with it. Would you believe that they still have that exact model sitting on the floor! It's just sitting right where I found it. They have almost no higher level GK gear in stock. Haven't for months. Makes it real hard to buy something from them. Regardless, many people are very happy with the current production. I wouldn't discount them completely.
    Wes

12. rockguitarist

rockguitarist

Aug 10, 2009
    St. Louis
    Had two of these and Brian @ GK told me the random shutting down prob was around 1% of the heads.....well....guess what? Picked up the second head yesterday, brand new, sealed in box A06 serial #...newest revision and first set of the gig and all throughout....randomly shuts down and powers back on. I'm done with this head and I feel like I've been lied to by GK. My advice....stay away.

13. Thanks for your response mat. Looks like I've got my hands on a 700RB-II on the cheap...... :)

14. No problems with my rev. A03.

15. Same here.

16. A03 - distortion after about an hour on many occasions, usually only pushing an 8ohm avatar 210 at low volumes/flat eq/no boost. Swapped out for an A05, no issues to date (3 months). I've run everything from the little 210, (2) monster 215 peavey cabs, or an avatar 212 & 210 stack - 4 hours straight with no issues. Unfortunately for gigs, I still always carry a 1001rb in the rack as well for a backup, sort of kills the whole lightweight benefit, but I guess its lighter than (2) 1001's.

I'm always on the fence of dumping it and going back to carvin for a little more peace of mind, but man I love the tone. If the opportunity arised i might even trade the 1001 for a second A05 and rack them together. For basically $1000 I'd have great versatility, lightweight rig, and always have 1 around if the other one goes back to GK. If they both go down...

17. As of my posting (the 35th overall voter), 1/3 of your voters had problems, but that's just an indicator of people on this forum. The actual percentage may be lower. I love the sound of these - when they work. Unfortunately, I'm 3-for-3 in the bad amp camp since November 2008. Great idea, though. I think the small-amp form factor is here to stay and although others did it before them, I also think G-K has shown the market what can still be achieved.

18. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    I'm routing for GK myself, but it seems like Markbass nailed it out of the gate, and GK stumbled pretty badly on this attempt at the micro stuff.

19. Gecko 5

Gecko 5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 11, 2005
    South Milwaukee , Wisconsin
    Gecko Leatherworks
    I tried both the GK and GB.
    For some reason the Benz Shuttle 6.0 had a "brittle" sound I could not get rid of.
    Bought the MB2-500.
    Worked fine through 5, 2 1/2hr. rehearsals then volume started to drop, and go back up at will.
    I had a gig five days later. I called GK and they got a return label to me and I had a new amp in time for my gig.
    Great customer service.
    I guess you want to avoid serial numbers with an A001 number.

20. synterx

synterx

Jan 24, 2005
    Illinois
    My A001 I bought as a blem from MF. Had a weird crackle at low volumes. Gk sent me an A002 and I've used it for 9 months with not one problem. It's been solid as a rock.

The price was recently lowered most likely to make room for the new fusion version. Move some old ones and make the new one at the right price point.

I've had two shuttle 6.0s. Worked fine, but didn't sound right to me. The GK is the best amp I've owned in the 15 years I've been playing

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021