Owners of high AND low end basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Acoustic356, Nov 1, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Acoustic356

Acoustic356 Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Earth
    I have several high end basses (price tags ranging from $2000-3500) and upper lower end basses ($350-700).

I find that I probably spend more time with my lower end instruments than their higher end siblings.

I know the low Enders travel to practice with me, and at least 1 makes it to the gigs.

It may be because most of the higher end instruments are extended range (5 or 6 string) and I usually am responsible for just holding down a groove (which the 4 string helps me...)

So... Just curious...

2. Mockyngbyrd

Mockyngbyrd

May 1, 2013
    N.NJ
    I try to play them all in a rotation, but I take the "lower end" ones out. If I ever get comfortable with wherever I'm playing I'd consider taking a "high end" one. I just play 4's.

Acoustic356 likes this.
  3. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I own Squiers as well as Foderas. I rarely play the Squiers as the Foderas sound and play so much better. Not 30-50 TIMES better based on cost, but butter to the point that I don't want to bring my cheaper basses anywhere unless it is a very rough bar gig, I have to leave my bass in the trunk for an extended length of time, or I am playing an outdoor gig with potentially crappy weather.

I am not afraid to play my nice basses at $100 gigs and/or every rehersal. I bougt them to play them.:bassist:

jim777, M Sterling, bholder and 33 others like this.
  4. Mockyngbyrd

Mockyngbyrd

May 1, 2013
    N.NJ
    Yes to this.

Leo Smith likes this.
  5. Acoustic356

Jul 3, 2014
    Earth
    I don't own Squiers, and admittedly some of my low end basses are custom build (1 completely hand carved), but I understand what you're saying.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2015
    RED J likes this.
  6. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I have owned a wide array of basses but sold all of the lower end stuff because I never played them.

I see them all as tools and will happily gig the expensive stuff. No point in owning them if they don't get played IMO.

jim777, Polfuste, Gizmot and 14 others like this.
  7. pravus

pravus

Feb 5, 2013
    Denver, CO
    I used to rotate through most of my basses pretty regularly and I've never had much problem with cheaper basses, really. The biggest issue to me has always been the fret job around 1-3 just because it eats up a knuckle on my left hand.

Now, however I just play my Dingwalls. Part of it is the scale length change but part of it just that they feel so much better. I also feel like spending time on the basses I plan on playing the most is the most beneficial. It gets me more intimately connected with the instrument and that makes me play better. That's why I'm basically a one-trick pony these days.

FlatwoundFunk and Mockyngbyrd like this.
  8. Boutique basses, vintage basses.... and one side-of-the-road 'rescue' bass I can't seem to part with.

Acoustic356 likes this.
  9. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    Low end/high end. . . they're just labels.

Play the best bass you have; the one that's right for the job.

10. angst178

angst178

Oct 22, 2009
    I have 6 basses. 5 of them get regular rotation at gigging and practice sessions. The last one is a 5 string that sounds great on recordings but since it's a 35" scale, it isn't comfortable to play.

That said, all of my basses I currently own are low cost. But I modded them to get what I want, so it's my own personal custom shop. I have owned a few high end basses in my time (nothing over 2k though) and though the basses were well made, very well made, I just didn't hear or feel the difference in price. If I had kept the low cost ones original, sure the sound quality would have been different. But nice pickups or a preamp will make a low cost bass sound great. My SX has a better feeling neck than my Fender Jazz did.

So, play what you want to play and as long as it sounds and feels good, price tag makes no difference.

11. Acoustic356

Jul 3, 2014
    Earth
    I have to agree with you... my 35" scale fiver takes some getting use to every time I play it...

As for my SX jazz, it's the primary reason why I don't have a "high end" equivalent.

12. Dluxe

Dluxe

Jan 9, 2011
    Austin, TX
    There is nothing cheap about my 1983 JV Squier Precision Bass.

13. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    Well, I definitely spend more TIME playing my project cheapies. But that's because I'm always trying out new stuff (components, setup, strings, etc.) with my project homebuilts, and I always have one or two on the bench.
    By comparison, my more expensive basses don't NEED as much attention, as they're not being modded.
    My vintage stuff, also not being experimented on.

And as far as gigging/recording? I have a go-to bass for each. Both parts basses, both probably middle-of-the-road in cost/price.

ctpunk, FlatwoundFunk and GBassNorth like this.
  14. RED J

RED J Lol

Jan 23, 2000
    ???

15. Acoustic356

Jul 3, 2014
    Earth
    Fixed... sorry... I was multitasking... lol

RED J likes this.
  16. I have some very high end instruments and don't feel the gigs are harmed in the slightest by using good cheap gear.

17. I play a Rick a Jack Casady and CV 60's Pbass. I play them all regularly. My Squier is inexpensive but certainly not cheap as far as quality. Don't matter to me it's a tool.

18. Burwabit

Burwabit Likes guitars that tune good and firm feelin women

Apr 4, 2011
    Lubbock, TX
    I play my high end basses (used from $2000-3400) at home, at band practice, and at gigs because I love how they feel and sound. That's why I own them. I sold all my low end stuff.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2015
  19. It's all about tone. My $102. Hohner P/J fretless sounds better than the fretless Fenders, so I use that one instead. If the Fenders sounded better, they'd get the call. The highest end basses (monetarily speaking) I have are a couple of Ricks and a '68 P. They all see duty.

FlatwoundFunk likes this.
  20. wmhill

wmhill

Aug 20, 2012
    upstate NY
    MTD basses endorsed artist Bartolini pickups emerging artist TECAMP bass players gear endorsed
    I bought a N/T Thumb in the early 90s, around the $3K mark, and played it every weekend for about 10 years. Great bass, held up well and sounded great (although stupidly heavy). I took a few years off and started gigging again, but this time with a "lower" cost mindset. The last 4 years I've only been playing MTD Kingston series basses (Michael Tobias Design imports). These sound every bit as good, are as durable and a fraction of the cost (all of the ones I own were well under a $1000). While they may lack the exotic (bubinga/wenge) woods of my thumb bass, settling for basswood & maple with a pleasing finish- the Warwick was not 300% better.....not even better at all, only more expensive. My basses are being gigged a 100 times a year and they are holding up just fine. I see no reason to ever spend the money on a big dollar bass again. Solid construction, attention to detail, quality hardware & electronics, and a bunch of money left in my pocket!

smallmouthbass70 and AndrewTaran like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 12, 2021