Owners of Tobias Killer-b 6ers

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fire-Starter, Oct 17, 2005.

1. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Any TB'res own a Tobias Killer B-6,
    1: I understand that it uses the same electronics as the Basic and Classic Models is this true ?
    2: does it have really narrow string spacing, and
    3: sound wise, can it throw down ?
    4: could you post pics of yours?

I did do a search it really did not answer my questions..

I saw one on ebay, and was really thinking about getting it, but missed out :meh:

2. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    metro Detroit
    1) The Killer B does share the same electronics as the Basic, Classic and Signature. The bigger question is, if you buy one used, which preamp era is it from. The one Michael Tobias put in them probably differs from the ones (plural) that Gibson used/uses. I have a transition (one of the ones partially made in CA, finished in Nashville) Basic 6, that sounds totally different from an early Gibson era Killer B5, which sounds totally different from the late 90's Killer B5 and Classic 5 I have, though the later two sound vitually the same.

2) The string spacing on my Basic 6 is average, but I have no idea if it is the same as a Killer B6. The spacing on both the early 90's Killer B5 and the late 90's Nashville Tobias 5 is average for the era. Not nearly as narrow as some other brands of the day, but not wide by current standards.

3) I really like the tone of my early Basic 6 and of the late 90's ones, but don't care for the tone of the early Gibson era Killer B that I have... actually getting ready to put it up for sale. When I have played the late 90's Classic 5 on stage, it cut through really well.