1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Owning 3/4 and 4/4 , harmful for technique?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by DanTheJazzMan, Dec 28, 2011.

1. DanTheJazzMan

DanTheJazzMan

Dec 28, 2011
    Good afternoon , I´m new to this comunity and first of all I´d like to thank you all for having me.
    I bought a czech 4/4 bass from a classmate at my current jazz school , and have been practcing with it ever since , it was quite pricey but i didnt though much of it being 4/4
    Now i´ve found that almost everyone and plays 3/4.
    I am being offered an exchange for a 3/4 upright bass for my laptop , my question is , is actually harmful for my studies to practice on both basses?
    Is it a really considerable diference intonation-wise?
    I´m currently aplying to a classical school and I´m worried if practing on both double basses will mess up my technique or I just wont be able to be properly intonated on both.
    It just seems that in terms of transportation there´s no other choice, I love my 4/4 but it is almost imposible to transport, and getting this EUB would resolve a lot of issues for me.
    Any help ?

2. Rob Thompson

Rob Thompson Supporting Member

To make sure we understand: the 3/4 bass you are trading for is an electric upright? If you plan on going to school for classical music, you need to play an actual upright bass, not an electric upright.

Now, what makes you call the one you have a 4/4? Most importantly, what is the string length?

3. DanTheJazzMan

DanTheJazzMan

Dec 28, 2011
    I have an acoustic 4/4 , and plan on conserving it .
    It is my laptop that i am exchanging for a 3/4.
    I dont know the string length on the 4/4 but it says so on the little paper inside it where it says where it was made.
    My issue is that if it will be harmful to practice on both , or if it will be troublesome to study on the 4/4 and then intonate properly on the 3/4.

4. Bass sizes are not really standardized, so the string length of the 4/4 could actually be shorter. What really matters is a) distance from nut to bridge and b) what note you get when you put your thumb in the curve of the neck and finger 1st finger. The neck joint is one of your primary reference points, and if that's too far different you'll find it annoying. Similarly if the scale length is too far different it might be annoying. But in general, it can only help in the long run to learn to deal with these issues.