1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Owning 5+ basses is like owning a dog

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GodPlayedBass, Oct 1, 2020.

1. I own 7 basses. I love all of them but I also dont play all of them. I play EB flatwound strings. 30x7 is 210. Thats how much id have to spend to replace strings on all of them. Even if i put rounds on 2 of them or 3 it'd still be close to $200. I hate having a bass with dead strings, i feel like im not taking care of a bass if I do that and so i would say that owning 5+ basses is like owning a dog. You gotta be willing to invest the time and money, in my opinion. Im thinking of getting rid of 3 of them and sticking with 4. Id probly play 4 different basses but clearly not 7. I hate the idea of selling a bass but if it just sits around, what's the point ? Any thoughts ?

odarellmc, DaleLeo, Polfuste and 21 others like this.
  2. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 Supporting Member

7 basses too many?
    That's crazy talk!
    Owning basses is more like clothing.
    The T-shirts and jeans get worn the vast majority of the time.
    The suit gets the call for special occasions
    And the shorts for hot weather .

3. I certainly understand the idea of collecting things, but for me the 3 basses I have are enough.

To each his own. :thumbsup:

4. BIGEJ2

BIGEJ2 Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Happy Valley, PA
    Put flats on all of them. No more buying strings. Convert them all to passive. No more battery expense. Use the saved money to buy more basses!

5. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    7 seems extreme to me. I have 4 but 2 haven’t been taken out of their cases in almost a year. Sure all 4 are drastically different, but the 2 that get played do everything I could possibly needs including covering the sonic ground the unplayed 2 cover.

StyleOverShow and John M Ewers like this.
  6. msb

msb

Jul 3, 2002
    Halifax,N,S. Canada
    I have a dog . Twenty basses too .
    I keep fresh rounds on a couple , many have flats because I love that old school thump . When we shut everything down over the covid considerations I set up each instrument . Polished frets , oiled necks , cleaned up , adjusted everything to suit my preferences .

7. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

Uh yeah why would you replace flats ?

8. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 Supporting Member

15993478160163876202983596718023.jpg
    15993478685422660351496482239667.jpg
    And 4 more in cases.
    All very different. All joys to own
    Oddly, now that I'm building my own, I'm slowly divesting many pictured here.

*I'm a cat owner.

The equivalent of a cat lady I suppose :) (just I'm male)

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
  9. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Yeah I'm going through a phase of detaching myself emotionally from ANYTHING I don't use.

My half dozen basses all get used. But I'm going to get down to one cab and a couple of heads.

To me, It's more like owning more than one car. Even if you don't drive them both, you have to maintain them both. It becomes more of a hassle and a chore rather than something that brings you joy.

These days I'm focusing more on people than I am things. Just my recent approach.

imabuddha, Mechayoshi, wmmj and 50 others like this.
  10. nabilhuakbar

nabilhuakbar

Jan 13, 2020
    Utah
    I'm in that same boat...I had a bunch and then I pared it down to 3. My rule right now is that I can have whatever I want as long as I keep the number down to 3 basses.
    Right now I have a P bass, an L2k tribby, and an Epiphone Thunderbird and it covers just about everything I need with the kinds of music I like to play.

11. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    I have 6 and I often think I may have too many. All are different, so staying, but I know I could really be fine with 2 or 3.

leftybass54, MOFuB, Gary Poe and 3 others like this.
  12. Jakeman

Jakeman Soundman's Nightmare Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2006
    New Orleans, LA
    11 basses, 3 dogs, 2 cats. I make it work.

13. Real Soon

Real Soon

Aug 15, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Funny you say that, I just counted up 7 basses and think I want to get rid of, say, two.

But if I do, I won't have the Danelectro lipstick pickup sound or the funky, tight Bartolini sound....

JPDsma, 6tzguy, groovepump and 5 others like this.
  14. Scarey Larry

Scarey Larry Supporting Member

Rafar, mjm666, mcclurer16 and 15 others like this.
  15. HardNHeavy

HardNHeavy

Apr 17, 2014
    PA
    have 4 and refinishing another....ugh!...they all have different pickups and necks and i do try to play them all (fenders)..I bought my jazz and precision and left them as-is except the j i installed dimarzios...then started the parts build thing and now the last one im working on, im trying to sand/refinish myself, just to say i did it..(PJ shoreline gold and maple neck)..but like OP, i think i need to stop and possibly sell a couple eventually....hard to let go when they play and sound beautiful.

groovepump, MOFuB and Gary Poe like this.
  16. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    First, claiming to “love a bass” (or more than one) is backwards. As one Dalai Lama stated:

“People were created to be loved. Things were created to be used. The reason why the world is in chaos is because things are being loved and people are being used.”

― Dalai Lama XIV

Moving right along...

We can certainly feel love for dogs; but, here is one further difference between dogs and basses: eventually the dog dies. Which is a particularly tough moment if you happen to be the one that has to hold the beloved family pet while the shot is administered. I’ll just leave that there.

Most tools require maintenance to keep the expected capabilities at the ready. The number of basses one has can somewhat determine to what extent one is a player vs a collector. The player wants the instrument in top performing condition. The collector just wants the instrument in some kind of collectible condition; and strings and such don’t enter into the latter category.

It is true that keeping more than a few basses in top performance condition can be both expensive and time consuming. So, one does have to figure whether that time is best spent practicing vs performing tech work. No slam on tech work; I enjoy it myself. Different strokes and all that; one just has to figure out where the particular comfort zone is.

odarellmc, drblooze, JPDsma and 21 others like this.
  17. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    If they're not constantly wiping their butts on the carpets, I don't see the problem. :roflmao:

18. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Dogs are pack animals. So it's only fair to you and the dog to have 2 dogs. So by my calculus you'll need 10 basses. My work here is done.

wmmj, shirky, zon5string and 19 others like this.
  19. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    I have 7 basses too. Some get played more than others, but even if you're playing them all regularly, the string investment isn't that bad. If you're playing one bass enough to re-string it once a month (that would be an aggressive restringing need), and you divide that time across 7 basses, you'd basically need to restring them all every 7 months. Or, just under twice a year.

I also soak my strings in denatured alcohol when they show signs of being too dead. So for most of my basses, I have two active sets. One on the bass the other being soaked. I can usually add to the useful life at least twice or three times as much.

Now, I have a few basses that I have extra strings for but don't play 'em regularly. One that I use for 'compact travel' (like if you need to fly, etc.) gets played for those gigs and in the run-up to them just to refamiliarize myself with the bass. The same strings have been on that bass for 2 years now.

...my old Jazz bass gets played very very rarely and often for just a couple moments. I did a setup on it last week for the first time in about a decade. Strings were totally fine and still zingy.

My main player for stage use when I've been hitting the road hard gets the strings changed every three weeks or so (using the two-sets, one soaking method outlined above)...If I get 3 uses times 2 sets at 3-weeks per use, that means 18 weeks, or four and a half months.

MOFuB, Gary Poe and Bikeguy57 like this.
  20. CatchaCuda

CatchaCuda Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2018
    Transfer, PA
    The worst is having to clean hanging basses. I can't believe how dusty my place actually is!

Now where did my duster and French maid costume go?