Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Owning a Mutron III+ and a Dunlop 105q wah pedal ?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Deano Destructo, Mar 29, 2003.

1. Dunlop 105q wah pedal

3 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. Mutron III+ re-issue envelope filter

2 vote(s)
    40.0%
  1. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Is there any reason that there might be to own both of these pedals in any ones opinion? For that matter I'm unsure why anyone would need both an envelope filter and wah pedal in their arsenal. WHich would you choose between the 2 to own and why?:meh: :confused:

2. Both. Or just the EV filter.

3. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Why?:confused:

4. Well.....I personally find a really good EV filter more expressive and versatile than a wah pedal. A wah can be useful for a very different range of tones, some very synth like, than a EV filter. Different pedals, different applications. I would use both.

5. Deano Destructo

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    How do you think the DOD FX25 stacks against the Mutron III+. I had the DOD at one time and why it seemed to suck out some bottom end I was more impressed with it tonally than the Mutron. Would you agree?

6. Umm...you really should consider a search on this topic. Much has been said about which analog filters rule and which drool. The FX25 and 'Tron III+ are not even comparable in tone or application. Both will do very different things very well and are far from similar. I love using EV filters and have different models for a vartiety of applications. here is my board, note the filters and know that I really do use them all?

[​IMG]

7. Can you get the Mutron to sound like an auto wah?

8. A Envelope Filter and Auto Wah are two different things. I bet you know how an EF and AW both work, so i'll just answer your question. Unless you can get the Q of the Mutron to "open and close" via rate and not dynamics, no, you can not.

9. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario

Do I really see *3* looopers?

10. Do you mean my three loop true bypass box? It's made by Morgan Miller.

11. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    You can do things with the Wah that you cannot do with an envelope filter and vice versa. I have a 105Q but I wouldn't rule out getting an envelope filter as well. That said, there is a lot to recommend the 105Q. The thing I like about the wah is that it is controlled manually, depending on how fast I move my foot or whether I use the full travel of the pedal I can change the characteristics of what the wah is doing on the fly as it were. Combine that with the 105Q's "Q" knob and you have a rather versatile little device.