Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

owning half a bass...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by retitled, Jun 21, 2005.

1. retitled

retitled

Feb 13, 2004
    forest hills
    i gave this dude my bass to fix...all that was wrong with it was the wire that connected the output jack to the volume knob snapped in half.. i asked him to solder it for me...he said "hey i can rewire the entire thing for you" so i said "ok a free rewire" so i let him.. it took him a month and a half and $20 from my pocket to get new pots and a jack...im like "okay as long as it works better then before"he keeps telling me "pick it up tomorow", "pick it up ina couple days" and keeps blowing me off..so FINALLY today i get it.. after jerking me around and making me come back to his place 3 times... i call him and he says its finished and ready to be picked upso i go there and hes STILL soldering stuff together.. he messed up at least 10 times.. and then he just uses electrical tape to stick it on ...he trys to put the pick gard back one and the knobs go through the pick gaurd so when u put it on the pots wouldnt go in the spacing for them and said i have to trim the edges wider... i get home and try to trim it and fail.. but while trying to mesure the edges for trimming i notice that the only thing keeping it from closing was the pots needed to be twisted like a quartet inch and the moment i touch the pod the soldering breaks off in two spots and i notice a truckload of electrical tape around my pick up..

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Kick his butt. Never trust an amateur, unless its me. I do free work for friends, but only as a learning tool and they know this. Currently in the process of a long and drawn out pickup swap (due to lack of funds) but everything is going to be top notch, no electrical tape.

Just let it be known, don't assume because someone says they can, doesn't mean they can.

3. Mr.Phil

Mr.Phil

Apr 9, 2005
    Upstate NY
    +1

4. AuG

AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO
    How do you mess up on soldering? It's nothing like welding and that's pretty straightforward too. :rolleyes: You should learn how to solder. It'll take you 20 minutes.

Oog

5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Lame. Some lessons are learned the harder way. Now you know for next time....stick with a pro for repairs you don't know how to do.

Good point from Oog. I learned how to solder recently. It isn't difficult by any means.

-Mike

6. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    It really isn't that hard to mess up on soldering you know ;)

Oh btw, kick his a$$