Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

OWWIE my fingers

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bcrpunk, Oct 16, 2002.

1. Ive been playing my bass non-stop for 4 days and my fingers hurt so bad. Ive rubbed them raw. Does anyone have any suggestions on how i can make them feel better?
    :confused:

2. You could rest your hands for a few days, but I thought that would be obvious.

3. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Well, since you posted this in the Double Bass forum, you could try playing a REALBASS for 4 days straight, and compare the pain to what you are currently experiencing. My guess is that after this experience, playing your TOYBASS won't even register on the pain meter. Hope this helps.

Moved to BG.

4. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Allow me to answer this question with a humorous anecdote.

A man goes into an office and says, "Doc, it hurts when I do this!"

The doctor says, "Well, don't do that."

5. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Keep doing it till your fingers lose all sensation.

Or you could stop now, and when they feel better, repeat the pain and blister inducing process untill you have nicely formed calluses.

You'll be in pain for a while. If its too much, give up bass. Otherwise, you will realize that in the world of bass nothing maters as much as jammin on the bass.

Peace
    Nick

6. Or start eating Salt and Vinegar chips, but make sure you have some open cuts on your fingers... :rolleyes:

:D:D

Merls

7. Dammit merls, my mouth just started watering! I love salt and vinegar chips!

8. I love Salt and vinegar chippies!

yum yum

Merls

9. Just keep playing.. and u just get used to it, so after a little time u won´t feel a thing.
    I have often been bleeding after a gig, thats just becourse i have been lazy practising before gig.. i know that i play maby a little too hard.. so i´m trying light touches now..

10. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Don't play so hard.. and don't play so much...

and Like Chris said, try playing a double bass, I don't play DB much... But I have, and talk about soar fingers...

11. The easy thing to do is turn your amp up and not play so hard.

Or, you could keep it going for a while and eventually all the nerve endings in your fingertips die :cool:. Worked for me, anyway.

12. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

What is this...bass snobbery?

13. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    Yeah u will get used to that, just keep playing regardless the pain, endure it, and eventually you will grow calices on your hand, keep up the bass playing! :D

14. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

Absolutely, but it's allowed - from chapter 7, paragraph 4 of the TalkBass Moderator's guide: "Posts by lost Bass Guitarists on the Double Bass board are to be immediately moved to the Bass Guitar side of the board as soon as a Double Bass moderator finds them.The Double bass moderator will be allowed one, and ONLY one, sarcastic potshot at the lost bass guitarist in his reply to the original poster which informs the latter that his post was placed in the wrong forum. Once the thread is moved to the corect forum, no more free potshots will be allowed."

Read 'em and weep. And think twice next time before questioning my actions again, son....I've got socks that are older than you.

15. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Well I counted TWO potshots in that little comment of yours. :p Does that mean a violation of the Talkbass Moderators Guide??? ;)

As far as referring to me as "son," I may be younger than you but age doesn't equate to skill/wisdom so...

And I wouldn't be too proud about that little tidbit of having socks older than 22 years
    :rolleyes: :D

16. pc

pc

Apr 4, 2000
    Montreal QC
    [butthead voice on]
    he.. huh.. he... toybass... hehe...
    [butthead voice off]
    :p

17. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

Oh, I'm not proud of the socks. Believe me, I am most definitely NOT proud of the socks.

18. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

:D

19. Oh yes you are.. And you secretly kiss your electric bass goodnight too..

Shuddup! that nothing to do with the fact i do.....

:D:D

Merls

20. SoyBase

SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    You can try Lanacaine. The topical anesthetic (SP) that you can get at the drug store. Its great for those little blisters, cuts or just plain soreness that hurt like a bugger.