1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Owwwww!!!!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by McHack, May 2, 2006.

1. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Sunday, we had a rehearsal.

We normally do so in the basement of our sound guys house, he's got full PA setup down there... its convenient. Well, its a small basement, so, I only bring 1 of my GS112's & set it up on one of the PA speakers, & put my rack on top of that.

Well, we were finished up & were all packing up, & I must not have lifted my rack up high enough,,, becuase it ended up dragging the GS112's off of the PA speaker, & it landed square on my big toe. O.O!!! I wasnt wearing any shoes at the time. It hurt so f'ign bad, that I literally couldnt even cuss, or say much of anything.

I went home & showed my wife. She had some prescription pain meds, that make her sick... so she doesnt take them. So, I took one. It was oxycotin... ***?! I wanted to barf the whole next 24hr period! The effect of the oxycotin was actually WORSE than having a smashed toe!

So, my head is clear again, & I dont feel like barfing, & my toe literally looks like something out of the cartoons, all huge & inflamed purple. I've got a gig Friday.

2. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Now, I'm not expert on the issue, but it seems that a wiser course of action than self-medicating and NOT going to the emergency room would be NOT self medicating, and consequently going to the emergency room! Get your foot looked at, man!

3. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    I messed up my big toe last year by dropping a pair of scissors on them. The scissors managed to land point down, rupturing the tendon that controls the up motion of my big toe.

Long story short, I had to have surgery. Spent six weeks in a hard cast and another 4-6 weeks (can't remember) in a removeable cast followed by six weeks of physical therapy.

You should go see your doctor now. If you did soft tissue damage as well as break your toe (the whole purple inflamed bit sounds like a broken toe) the sooner they fix it, the more motion you'll regain. The longer you wait, the more soft tissue has to be removed due to granulation (scar tissue).

Seriously, even if you don't have insurance, get your toe looked at. Your big toe is the most important toe on your foot. Unless you don't like walking or something.

4. trog

trog

Nov 8, 2003
    Scotland
    Doctors are pretty cool, you know? :D

5. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Well, we've got an office nurse here, so I went up to show her, & get her opinion. Since its not mangled, per se... she doesnt think its broken. Just kinda smashed, so there's nothing to set. The toenails gonna pop off in a few days, no question about that. Going to a doctor wouldnt really DO anything.

The one thing I would say is, taking one of my wifes oxycotin was absolutely stupid. That was one horrible experience. I dont know how anyone could get hooked on those.

6. Thor

Thor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Wearing shoes when doing stuff like moving is way cool as well.

Did you spot Rush Limbaugh while you were zoning out? :ninja:

Best wishes for a speedy recovery. :)

7. Pics? :D

8. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Glad to hear nothing is broken (if you can move your toe, you're probably in good shape).

9. Sounds like you took it on an empty stomach...

10. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    I've been hobbling around for a few days as well.

My 1283 lb Horse stepped on my right foot Sunday.

Red, blue and purple sure are nice colors for my foot.

11. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    AAAaaaahhh! You gotta get it checked out, man.

2 weeks before my sister's college graduation, she hosted a kegger at her place. The person my sister was carrying it with was pretty unreliable, I guess. In carrying the keg into the house, she dropped her half of the keg, so it fell square on my sister's big toe, bounced and rolled away. She didnt even drink any of it first (not only would it have weighed less, but she wouldnt care as much)
    : /
    She didnt have a dr look at it for a while, and when my parents came for her graduation, they brought her to the doctor. Turned oust she completely shattered her toe, and it was in bad condition.

(Thank God we had good doctors, though. Now she runs 7 miles a day, so clearly her toe healed up well.)

Moral of the story: Dont wait for your mom to come find you wheeling yourself around in a wheelchair because you didnt feel like going to the doctor's office.

12. Yeah I would go into a doctor. Sometimes they can be nice and just look at it quick and say that there's nothing wrong and not even charge you. Especially if you happen to know one or have a friend that knows one. At the worst it'll be what, 50 bucks to look at it for 2 minutes? Either way, the worst if it's NOT looked at is not being able to walk, and having a hard time standing at gigs without support.