Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Oysterhead - "The Grand Pecking Order"

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by volker, Jun 26, 2003.

1. Maybe it's just me, but I have a feeling the bass is quite often not in time with the drums on this album. But apart from that I reckon it's quite a cool and also amusing one. Anyone else heard it?

2. makohund

makohund

Dec 12, 2002
    I've got that album. Love it! Fun tunes, weird tunes, rockin' tunes. And a couple a little mellow to my taste. I think the three of them went together quite well, and turned out some stuff well worth hearing.

I don't remember noticing anything about anything being off time or simply "off". (Some "odd", yes. But that's different.) What exactly do you mean? (Got an example song/phrase that you notice? I'm curious.)

3. It might be, I have noticed one or two things .
    Anyway "The grand P..." smells live music to me.
    I can feel that some of the songs have been written during jams and not behind a computer.If you know what I mean.

4. Nah, I didn't mean the "odd" stuff (which is pretty cool by the way). Here's an example: Listen to track 1, "Little Faces", after the first 45 seconds when the bass joins in! ;)

Stewart Copeland has always been my absolute fave drummer :)

5. ...yep, that's very much what Mr. Copeland said in an interview. And you can hear they must've had loads of fun jamming.

6. I hated that album. I love Stewart Copeland and Les Claypool, but that album just sounded like a crappier version of a Primus album.

7. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I lvoe that album.. Oysterhead has to be one of my favorite pop groups. The strange sound combination between teh three is really interesting and different. I was learning "Little faces" awhile back and I guess it was just a tad off time, but not much- I guess that explains why I kept feeling like I had the phrasing a little funny. I'm not a big effects junkie, but Oysterhead seemed to have oen of the most interesting and effective FX usages I've heard-obviously spinning off teh primus aspect of things. Sweet tunes!:bassist:

8. I love this album, It's really fun and light hearted. A lot of the songs are cool to jam around too, and they make for great auditioning songs.

But IMHO, most people that didn't like this album were most likely expecting Primus II, and not another band. The backlash of a musician forming another band almost always is identical to this one.

9. I disagree. I thought Les Claypool's Flying Frog Brigade was cool but Oysterhead just felt uninspired. Not to mention I hate Phish.

10. i love this ablume. when i frist got purple i was like om ok. then after awhile i started to love it as much as i love any thing by claypool. if u read the interview with claypool about his new ablume he talks about how his songs have meaning even primus but most people dont get it. guess the poeple who dont liek his stuff just dont get it.

if u read up on ur pink floyd u know pigs could fly.

11. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Yeah, the little faces bass intro thing seems to be one of those "look at me, I'm les claypool, I'm weird" things. I can't think of anything else that's off time on that album.

Stu's the man!

12. Only

Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    I hate this album SO much. But curiously, I acquired a tape of a live performance of Oysterhead, and it is AWESOME. If you hate the album, check out a live performance. I can't really explain why, but they just have more energy and liveliness, and less producing.

Just my $0.02.

13. Albini_Fan

Albini_Fan Banned

Jan 26, 2003
    Beneath Below
    Yeah, but anything 'Pool is great live.

14. agreed.

15. ...The bass is also a bit off time in "Mr. Oysterhead", just before the bass solo at the end. No big deal - it just feels strange to me and I'm surprised to hear something like that on an album of so-called "cracks"!

16. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY

uhhhh where? where ? where????

i loooove that band, my fav claypool band, i like it even more that primus, but it is unfair to compare them..... in primus its LES and the band behind him...... here the 3 are music monsters.

i think that part of the idea is that things sound wierd, not onlu sound-wise, but that times dont actually match and that kind of things......

its not primus, so as Freaky Fender sayd: dont expect primus 2

17. I can hear the Little Faces one... the 2nd open E he hits is slightly early, and sounds a bit off compared to the rest of em... but come on! :D

I like those little quirks. Even some pretty blatant mistakes have been heard on famous songs such as the Beatles' Let it Be - at one point later in the song the piano hits an obviously wrong chord and corrects it immediately... funny and weird, but it does show you that the Beatles were human, and so is Les. I kind of like hearing Les's voice crack on Camelback Cinema!

18. Thee

Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    I love this album.

19. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Yeah, most of that album was recorded 'live' at Trey's barn in Vermont. I think it was an awesome album and the live shows were even better. Stu got to play again, Trey got to shred and Les got to be Les. The one thing I'll never understand is why they didn't put the song 'I Am Oysterhead' on the album. They played this the first time they ever played out together at jazz fest (5-4-2000). If you can find the recording you'll see what I'm talking about. It's my favorite song they've ever done - but instead they went with Mr. Oysterhead on the album :rolleyes:

20. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    all this live recording you talk about are bootlegs, right? so are legal to download?

if they are actuall live albumn PLEASE tell me were to order them! if are bootlegs were i an download them???