Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ozomatli - Street Signs

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by DigMe, Sep 29, 2004.

1. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Anyone heard this? I don't really "follow" them so to speak but I saw it on sale at Target for $8 or so a couple of months back and I decided to check it out because I have their first two albums as well and I like those. This album is great! I think it's my favorite of their three albums. It doesn't have the catchy bass grooves of the first album but it has some great songs. I was glad because I didn't think their last album was nearly as strong as the first or as this one. There's only one song that I don't like all that much because it gets a little too "smooth" I guess and almost starts to sound a bit Ricky Martinish. The rest is awesome though and I've been listening to this album 2 or 3 times a week since I bought it.

I think the rapping is stronger on this album as well. I'm more a fan of their straight latin sounding stuff but the rapping is good on this..especially on track 3.

If you like modern, edgy sounding latin style rock music with some rapping and eastern percussion thrown in then check out Ozomatli's 'Street Signs.'

brad cook

2. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    I've only heard one song, I think it's the "Saturday Night" one, but I really liked it, more harder-edged funk their previous stuff.

Ozomatli are a great band, and they put on a live show that is NOT TO BE MISSED! They're all really nice too, they hung out at the merch stand after their set and signed stuff and talked with people. My friend (whose a huge fan of them) wanted to get them all to sign her t-shirt, and they went out of their way to help her. Trumpet player's a great guy and Wil-Dog's mad nice as well.

3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I haven't heard their others but I like this. The collision of so many styles is what grabbed my ear. Great grooves, just fun to listen to.

4. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Haven't heard it but I love their first album. I've seen them live a couple times, Amoeba Records and Maritime Hall in San Francisco, and they are killer. I'll have to pick this one up. I heard bad things about the last one and never checked it out.

5. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Their last one really wasn't bad, it was a bit looser and less focused, though I think you can attribute that to the lineup changes that occured between the two albums. I still think it's a worthwhile album and has some absolutely killer tracks.

6. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX

"Less focused" is definitely a good description of Embrace the Chaos. This album has focus and a consistent feel all the way through.

brad cook

7. I've been on the side of the stage (at Glasonbury festival) when these guys are rocking a huge crowd and I can honestly say they are without doubt one of the best live bands on the planet right now. They are soooooooo titght it hurts, and everything just locks in man - plus their cool leaving-the-stage- trick at the end where they dive into the crowd for a big old batucada percussion jam is just great - imagine playing the last tune of every gig - literally in the middle of all your fans - amazing. I've seen them about 4 times now and they get better each time - I don't any of their music so it's always nice to hear how they have changed year after year - GO AND SEE THIS BAND - NO MATTER WHAT MUSIC YOU LIKE - THEY ARE AMAZING!

*phew*

8. Songs of theirs come up on my LAUNCHcast player from time to time; I rated "Believe" at four stars 'cos I really liked the mix they have going on there.