Ozzfest 2005 in Columbus: MAJOR Disappointment

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Meyekul, Aug 4, 2005.

1. In case anyone here went, or planned to go to Ozzfest in Columbus, I'm sure you feel my pain. It isn't the first time that it happened, nor will it be the last, but still I rant. The pain that I describe is the pain of driving, crammed in a jeep with 4 other people and 2 days worth of luggage. The pain of paying $98/night for a hotel room, $90 each for tickets, and ungodly amounts of money for food, water, and beer to go to Ozzfest... and then you get up to the gate to hand the man your ticket, and he tells you that Ozzy isn't going to be there tonight. :crying:

Apparantly he had a throat infection or something, but that doesn't comfort me, nor do I feel sorry for him. From what I hear, its not uncommon for Ozzy to skip a show with little or no advance notice. What I do feel is disappointed that I wasted over $500 to see one of my all-time favorite bands, Black Sabbath, live, on what may well be their last tour ever, and they laughed in my face. Not only did they not play their set, they didn't even SHOW UP. No waves, no bows, no sorry for wasting your hard-earned time and money (but I'm sure they'll enjoy spending it).

I bet its rough to sing with a throat infection, but I think if I were Ozzy and I were headlining a tour that is NAMED after me, and playing with a LEGENDARY band, I would take some medicine and belt out those notes if it killed me. Or, find someone else to carry the bulk of the vocals. At the VERY least, I would have made an appearance and appologized to the fans that came anyway and didn't refund their tickets (for about $20 less than they paid for them). Nope. Not even the mastermind Sharon stepped up to say anything about ruining the show for the fans of Sabbath.

The other acts were good, especially Maiden and Rob Zombie. Zombie even did part of Sweet Home Alabama, which surprised the hell out of me. But the whole day I could only think how bad it sucked that I went through all the planning and preparation for this show and it was ruined.

So, I'm debating going to the Antioch show later this month. Maiden isn't going to be there, but I already saw them with an extended set since Sabbath wussed out. I'd like to see Velvet Revolver, but someone told me earlier that they were cancelling the tour. And then there's always the chance that Ozzy will decide he'd rather do something else than appear at his own show... so I don't know what to do... I really want to see Sabbath once in my life before they retire, but is it worth all the money for another gamble? Is there any way of knowing for sure if he's going to show up?
  2. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I live 5 minutes from the Germain Amphitheater. Hell, I could jog there. My wife & I had considered going, but ultimately procrastinated on buying the tix... Reading this post, I'm glad.

It does suck... And, It certainly seems as tho Ozzy's reliability is decreasing more & more. That said, I dont know if I'd spend the money,, no matter how badly I wanted to see 'em.
  3. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    i wanna go soo bad. Black sabbath is my favorite band....
  4. Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    I was offered tickets for detriots show, but didnt go because of Ozzy....and because the damn ticket price
  5. PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    I had to sell my ticket for the Detroit show tonight, but heard that Ozzy was okay to sing tonight. That sucks dude.
  6. jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    Don't pay to go to another show, because there seems to be an ok chance that you'll get screwed again. I'm sorry that you paid all that and had a bad experience. God Bless. -Brad
  7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    OUCH! That is really lame. It would have been nice if he could have at least come out and thrown some buckets of water on the crowd and hummed the songs. What a dork!!

8. fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    last year sabath was more of a clean up act. I expected way more from 100% sabbath. Judas priest kicked their ass last year.
  9. Yeah.. that would have made me accept the whole deal a lot easier. But, I guess when you have enough fans, you dont have to care about them too much.
  10. fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    no kidding. I saw a better 'sabbath' show when it was just and ozzy tour and he did 7 or 8 sabbath songs. To be fair though the crowd sucked. ozzy had to start his own 'one more song chant' and they were starting sabbath bloody sabbath when everyone was giving them funny looks they busted into paranoid and were like **** cause we knew the set was done but everyone was cheering I guess cause they wanted to hear a sabbath song they knew.