Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ozzfest 2005

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Psyrcle, Apr 18, 2005.

1. Psyrcle

Psyrcle Guest

Year after year Ozzfest dishes out a legendary lineup that makes me giggle like a catholic schoolgirl. This year is no different.

Main stage
    Black Sabbath
    Iron Maiden
    Mudvayne
    Shadows Fall
    Black Label Society

Second Stage
    Rob Zombie
    Not to be mean to the fans but the rest are not worth mentioning.

However there are 2 mystery bands. One will be filling in for Maiden from Aug23 - Sep4. The other is a mystery second stage band. Anyone hear any kind of rumor as to who it is?

2. I think Velvet Revolver is filling in for Maiden. That's what I've been told, at least.

Shouldn't this be in Misc.?

3. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I'm not quite sure how Black Dahlia Murder, Mastodon, Soilwork, The Haunted, Arch Enemy, aren't worth mentioning, but Shadows Fall is main stage. Someone, exlain this to me.

Explain this to me now.

4. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    There are no "mystery" bands. Check the bill, it shows who's on what stages - every other year when there'd be a fill-in/mystery band there'd be another spot with "TBA" or some such. From what I've heard they'll just move performances around to adjust. This all comes from a some times right, sometimes wrong source at our radio station who has an "in" on such things. We shall see though I guess :). And in any case, it's a loaded show! How can you say "Not to be mean to the fans but the rest are not worth mentioning", when they are all pretty good bands? I guess different folks, but still, if you like the main bills as you've mentioned, you'd like the rest as well...

Ray

5. Holy crap. Iron Maiden, Mudvayne, Mastodon, Arch Enemy.

I think the good stuff outweighs the crappy stuff.

6. Psyrcle

Psyrcle Guest

When they first listed the bands there was one blank spot on the main stage (later to be filled by Mudvayne) and it was rumored to be Megadeth, Mudvayne, or Metallica. Now they have 2 open spots and no one knows anything. ***?

And the reason I didn't bother mentioning the other bands is because even though they do have talent their music is crap. Well...except for BDM. They're okay.

7. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Are you trying to make my head explode?

8. Well at least you're being objective.

9. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Which band was it that won battle for ozzfest?

10. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    +1
    If you don't like the 2nd stage bands, don't even go. I know trivium personally (every member) and they are awesome. Arch Enemy, In Flames, ADF, Mastodon, As I lay Dying, KILLSWITCH ENGAGE, are all great music, and not "crap", that's just plain being disrespectful, and you've yet to give reason as to why it's "crap", and why the other ones aren't (even though... they're all very similar?). Have you even given those bands a good listen? Really?

Ray

11. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Whoa, hold up there. I neither condone nor support KSE. The first Dokken was enough.

12. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Well, I like their "End of Heartache" album. I have all three though... never listen to the others :eyebrow:

Ray

13. I'm not a big fan of most of the second stage bands...hence I'm not going. I'm not sure if it's worth your time if you don't enjoy the second stage acts - it'll be a long, grueling day of listening to music that for the most part you don't like. In fact, if you find the bands unworthy of even being mentioned, I would definitely recommend you stay home, if only for financial reasons.

Still, guys, I'm not sure he was being any more disrespectful than what is commonly seen here...seems to me that bands get bashed on the boards like this a lot - is it only okay if you agree? :meh:

Oh yeah, this should be in Misc.... :)

14. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Black Sabbath, Mastodon, and Trivium alone would probably be enough for me to shell out that kind of dough. The others would round out an already kick ass show

The line-up seems great for the most part.

This is the first Ozzfest in a while that hasn't had Slipknot on it, isn't it?

15. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    No, and I always hate seeing that really. In the past I know I've caught myself saying "so and so sucks", but I refrain from that. Everyone has their tastes and dislikes, but just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's "crap".

Ray

16. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    I don't know, but that kinda had me disappointed, but glad now that someone else can fill the spot :cool:.

Ray

17. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    So many people are up on Trivium...I don't get it. I mean, they're not Underoath or anything, but I just don't see why people are so on them.

18. I'm glad to hear you say that, and would expect no less from you. I just wonder sometimes how totally honest people are when they say something along the lines of "You can't say a band sucks unless you provide reasons." I've said it myself a number of times, but I rarely leap to the defense of a band I hate based on this thought process. I'm not attempting to accuse anyone here, of course; I just think that the statement is becoming so widespread that not everyone who says it can possibly mean it all the time. Myself included.

19. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Unless it's Molly Hachet or Stryper. :D

20. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Who is this Underoath you speak of?

I think I'll go check them out.

EDIT: Good god that is some heavy emo.