Ozzfest 2005

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Josh Ryan, Jul 17, 2005.

1. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    --Bands I saw on the second stage--

The Haunted - Tight, awesome, very good show, just as you'd expect from this top level band from the land of my ancestors.
    Arch Enemy - Good band, I really dig Angela's vocals, nice and tight, good song choices, quite cool.
    Mastodon - This is the first time I've seen them. I was very impressed. There are some bands, (like the above two) that just have everything down, Mastodon is one of them. Excellent music, Mastodon is one of my favorite bands.
    Trivium - This band is a good band, but the live show suffered from vocal issues and timing problems. It didn't ruin the set, but it certainly detracted a lot from it.

--Main Stage--
    In Flames - the 25 minute set was a crime against nature, In Flames is what a live band should sound like. The set was all too short.
    Black Label Society - not really into them, some of the tunes were pretty good, but the noodlin' was really quite excessive. -they played well itherwise though.
    Shadows Fall - this band is from my neck of the woods. Old school metal sound, tight set, the new album rocks, I liked it.
    Mudvayne - I like these guys, but the vocalist and guitarist need to step up the game to get on par with the other two guys. They started a little sloppy and got better and better as the set went on. Overall, a good set. They seem like good people.
    Iron Maiden - Maiden played songs from the 1st four albums only. Pure Heaven. The only weird parts were some of the comments Dickinson made. He kept yelling "Welcome to Iron Maiden!" --probably because he's so used to being the headliner, he may have forgotten he was at Ozzfest. He also mentioned that "...they [Iron Maiden]are not one of those bands that does reunion after reunion tour" - which may have been considered a bit off as Sabbath was playing next.
    Black Sabbath - they played the classics and they played them well. Ozzy held his own, not perfect, really not perfect during "Dirty Women" but all in all they kicked ass.

Other things of note:
    1. a small pizza was $10.
    2. water was $3.50 for a really tiny bottle.
    3. flashing was at a minimum, and what I saw I wish I could un-see.
    4. people suck at leaving the parking lot.
    5. the Tweeter center took half the lawn and installed seats, which is odd. I liked the big lawn.
    6. Goth kids like to sweat. White and black face paint look really silly when it's running down your shirt.
    7. they played the same weird cartoon crap and excerpts from Uranium TV between sets. It got annoying.
    Overall I had a good time.
  2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Did that come out how you meant it? :eek: :eek: (your wife at Ozzfest = more high quality flashing?!?) ;)

It was a good show. $65 for all those bands, even if some of the sets were short, is a good deal by today's standards. I like days like that anyway, I can forget about work, broken BMW ABS systems and the looming possibility of shoulder surgery.
  3. justateenpoet

justateenpoet Have you...killed the Venture brothers!?!?

May 14, 2005
    Agreed. I've seen In Flames at the Palladium in Worcester at New England Metal Fest, and they're incredible.

I'm admiring OzzFest a lot more in recent years (getting rid of Slipknot was nice :spit: ), and it seems that they're featuring more underground talent. It's also cool that Velvet Revolver is gonna do some shows, even though it's in late August.