Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ozzy and Metallica swapping Bass players ?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Bass_Pounder, Mar 6, 2003.

1. Just read this on another site.

NEWSTED JOINS OZZY!...MAYBE (03/06/2003)

Although it has yet to be confirmed officially, Rock-Sound.net is reporting that former METALLICA bassist, and current VOIVOD bassist Jason Newsted has joined OZZY OSBOURNE's band, filling the slot vacated by Robert Trujillo, who left to join METALLICA.
    (My, what an odd 'Six Degrees of Separation' moment)

"Jason has joined the band", said Zakk Wylde in an interview with Rock-Sound. "I just got off the phone to him and he asked me to show him the right key for the songs so he doesn't look like an idiot."

Even though the two have yet to meet, Zakk says he's anxious to begin working with Jason, "he can play and I've heard from people who know him that he is a really nice kid."

If this turns out to be true, Newsted will be playing on stage with Ozzy during this year's OZZFEST

What an interesting development !!!!!!!

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Give me an H....O....A....X!!!!

source please! ;)

3. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    It's interesting how fast Jason's "ear problems" went away........I like him, he just had to get away from the suppressive boys in Metalica......I'm sure Ozzy will be a lot easier to deal with.

4. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Hmm possibly, that is a little too coincidental for me, but it does sound at least reasonable to some degree.:meh:

5. I read it on a different board, but the story is up on the following site

http://www.rock-sound.net

Anyone else hear about this??

6. Sharon Osbourne really knows the value of top talent and is will to pay $$$ for it.

7. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Tell that to Bob Daisley.....

8. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
  9. -that's perfectly understandable- he didn't have to listen to Lars Ulrich's voice any more.

this "Newsted joins Ozzy" story must be a hoax- I thought Newsted was sick of having a "hired gun" status in Metallica, and he doesn't need the money or fame of being in Ozzy's band.
    so he's only just joined Voivod as a full band member presumably with creative input, and he's jumping ship now to get ordered around by Sharon Osbourne? :rolleyes:

10. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Saw a blurb about this on MTV. They put it just above rumor status. Made it sound like Voivod was still his main deal, but that he would play with Ozzy.

11. on Zakk Wylde's website http://www.zakkwylde.com/index2.htm

"March 5:
    To dispell all rumors, Mike Inez will be playing bass for BLS on the west coast run and Japan tour. Watch for a major announcement soon for the bassist for Ozzy."

http://www.billboard.com/billboard/daily/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1831796

so Voivod are playing Ozzfest too, with Newsted supposedly playing with both bands?

he's certainly bursting with energy these days, after those personal injury stories with Metallica!

12. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    I heard this story on the radio... it was not the morning zoo, they didn't say it was a rumor. They just said that Jason will be playing with Ozzy.
    When I heard that, I thought of the story I read days before that said Trujillo was playing with metallica on tour (CNN Headline news). I immediately thought of how weird and stupid that sounded, but it's totally rock and roll.

Not that I truly care about either band, so don't think I'm a fan believing hype ;)

13. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    If this story is true, I'm starting to lose respect for the guy (Jason). Does he all-of-a-sudden have to have his finger in everyone's pie? First he's in EchoBrain, then he's in Voivod, then I get an announcement in the mail from Chophouse Records, announcing his two other bands, now he's in Ozzy's band. Next thing you know, he'll be touring with Creed and recording with Flotsam and Jetsam again. Jason, pick one friggin' band and stick with it!

14. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

ahem... top talent that looks cool.

I feel so sorry for Ozzy... he shouldn't be doing what he's doing... he probably doesn't even know what he's doing. He probably thinks he's hallucinating those cameras for "The Osbournes." Ozzy is on Ozzfest surrounded by these high energy kids and he has a hard time nodding along to his songs. Ozzy... retire. Calls ozzfest... nuMeTaLzone Deluxe '78 or something... sure retirement sucks, but when you can't do your job properly anymore... and he can't... quit. Live off the Osbournes, they have enough merchandise. Unless it's community service for pissing on the alamo.

15. Only

Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    I remember him complaining about stuff like that in Metallica, where he wanted to jam with other people and James and Lars weren't too happy about it. Maybe Jason's just enjoying that now he can play with a lot of different people.

16. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    .....and there ain't nuthin' wrong with it so, lighten up boyzzzzz!

17. I know when I get out of a long term relationship I like to play with as many people as possible :eek:

I actually first heard this rumour the same day that Trujillo joined Metallica and noticed the stupidity involved if arguably the two biggest metal bands in the world had swapped bassists.

Voivod is playing on the Canadian tour with Ozzy so he will be in the same location, but that doesn't mean he'll be on stage at the same time as the Ozzman... but it leaves it as possible. All I know is that I'm paying way too much to see aging metal gods this summer.

18. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Yeah... I really don't see what's wrong with being in multiple bands :confused:

19. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I can certainly understand having different musical tastes and having to have maybe two different bands in order to accomodate those tastes, but I am also of the opinion that if you are in three or four, or even five different bands, you aren't putting your all into any of them. How can you give 100% to four or five different bands?