Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ozzy Bass-players

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Jasnewsted, Mar 11, 2001.

1. Jasnewsted

Jasnewsted

Apr 1, 2000
    What is your opinion on Ozzys bass players??

Players like Bob Daisly, Gezzer Butler, Phil Soussan, Mike Inez
    and that guy on "Speak of the devil"( dont remember his name, but he was good ! ) ??

I think these players all are some of the best Rock bassists in the world?

What do you think??

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Rudy Sarzo played on that one ('Speak of the Devil').

3. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Rudy is my choice. :D

4. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    well, from my understanding, robert trujillo is with him now...there lies my vote...geezer butler is second though

5. sn0wblind

sn0wblind

Apr 20, 2000
    Ontario, Canada
    GEEZER!! GEEZER!! GEEZER!! GEEZER!! GEEZER!!

Bob Daisley is 2nd

6. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    Geezer is my mostest favoritist bass player ever of all time. No one can touch him for miles.

I have tremendous respect for Bob Daisley. I saw him on tour with Gary Moore in the early 90s (awesome!), and of course Bob's work on "Bilzzard" and "Diary" is superbly phenomenal.

I saw Rudy twice during the first "Bilzzard" tour and thought he was OK at best.

7. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    id have to go with geeser on this one, seems like he was the only one who kinda came outta the pocket somewhat with ozzy.

8. Hary

Hary Guest

Sep 19, 2000
    Hungary, Veszprém
    Maybe Bob was the best. But with Randy Rhodes on guitar, we can't really remember any of the bass-players. He was the main player in the band. Second is Geezer.

9. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    FACT: Randy was the greatest guitar player ever to grace this planet. RIP.

10. killer B

killer B

Apr 18, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ USA
    My favorite Ozzy Bass Player would have to be Mike Inez (now in Alice in Chains not that they're doing much) His playing on No More Tears and the live album rocks

11. fat jonny

fat jonny

Jul 8, 2000
    Columbus Ohio
    GEEZER!!! no doubt about it hes the best metal bassist ever. All the others are sweet too. I personally like bob daisly and mike inez though.

12. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Geezer gets the win for me because he was the first and has good skills. Rob Trujillo (not sure of spelling) definitely gets the second though for incredible skills. His stuff with infectious grooves is amazing!

13. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

JasNewsted, this is Jason Oldsted and I admire Geezer Butler, Robert Trujillo and Michael Inez.

jason

14. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    I can't think of a bad bass player that Ozzy's ever had can any of you? My vote is Rudy Sarzo but Ozzy's been blessed with some of the best bass players and guitar players to ever walk the earth!

15. PolkaHero

PolkaHero Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    Bob Daisley played bass on the No More Tears recording. In fact, Bob Daisley played on all of Ozzy's studio recordings from Blizzard of Oz to No More Tears!:eek:

The other bassists(Sarzo, Soussan,etc.) merely played on the live tours supporting the albums. BTW, Bob Daisley wrote practically all of the lyrics to the aforementioned Ozzy recordings.

16. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
    Robert Trujillo may be a great bass player, but IMHO he absolutely *ruined* the "Blizzard of Ozz" and "Diary of a Madman" albums when he re-recorded them.

What an absolutely stupid idea that was. Two classic recordings w/ Bob Daisley and Lee Kerslake ruined....

17. Ditto, plus Geezer did a lot of writing that I'm not sure if anybody else did.

18. hieronymous

hieronymous

Nov 28, 2002
    Northern CA
    I vote for Bob Daisley and Geezer.

By the way, check out bobdaisley.com for his response to the re-recordings of "blizzard" and "diary"

19. WHAT THE CRAP!?!
    BUMP from almost TWO YEARS ago? wacky

20. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    I liked all of the except for Inez. More of a show-man than a bass player. My favorite recording is the Tribute album with Rudy. Man that stuff is stiff fresh.