Ozzy. . . .What was he thinking?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by PolkaHero, Apr 15, 2002.

1. PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    In case no one has heard about this, Ozzy Osbourne has released remasters of all of his previous recordings. Unfortunatedly, "Blizzard of Oz" and "Diary of a Madman" have been essentially re-recorded using his current rhythm section of drummer Mike Borden and bassist Robert Trujillo(spelling?).

Bottom line: The tracks sound nothing like the original lineup with Bob Daisley on bass and Lee Kerslake on drums. Also, Randy Rhoads' guitar sounds have also been tampered with. Trujillo's bass sound doesn't even compare to Daisley's and sounds out of tune in certain spots as well. Borden's feel doesn't approach the character of the original recordings.

I strongly discourage anyone from buying these new remasters. Get the old ones while you can!
  2. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Many thanks for the heads up on the "remastered" set.
  3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
  4. PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    Hmmmm....Hoping there'd be more Bob Daisley fans around here. This guy laid down some classic lines on those first two albums.
  5. even in my ozzy-prime i wouldn't have bought those albums without daisley on bass.
  6. Speaking of crazy, I read that Sharon Osbourne is charging bands $75,000 to appear on the Ozzfest (sp?) tour. She claims that bands should be paying THEM because so many acts have broken through thanks to their tour.

What a load of carp. How can a new band break-out on Ozzfest when they can't afford to play it...???
  7. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Ozzy is through in my opinion. People go to Ozzfest for the bands...rarely for Ozzy. He's recent stuff is absolutely terrible. The single, "Dreamer", is a very petty attempt to recreate Lennons' "Imagine", but with pathetic cliche lyrics and poor delivery. Booo.

I agree about Trujillo, by the way. He was usually pretty well blurred under the mix in Suicidal Tendencies (I preferred Josh Paul 100 times over) because he did the mid scoop for all that slapping. Probably just used to the sound, he still has that with Ozzy, and I think it sounds pretty bad. I liked Bob Daisely's tone.
  8. DiegoMcgee

Oct 20, 2001
    Providence RI
    Blizzard is a classic and should never be tampered
    It is lame that bands have to pay to be on Ozzfest.
    Randy Rhoads was my first musical hero and it
    pisses me off they are scewing with his sound.
    Quiet Riot did the same when running
    Randy's track through Carlos' rig.......LAME

Jim Obrien
    HEAR MY BAND http://illustriousday.com/songs_from_EP.htm

Vote for Jacki O (my wife) best fem vox
    in our local music mag.http://bmp.thephoenix.com/providence.html
  9. The reason these recordings were "Remastered" is because the Osbournes owned back royalties to the former bassist and drummer. So instead of continuing the payment of royalties, they made a deal with the new bassist and drummer, so they would never have to pay the royalties. It's BS, IMO, but it's all about the benjamins I guess.

Really sad, :( but I agree, Ozzy is done.

I got his new album for Xmas last year. It's really not that good. I'd rather throw some old Sabbath into the CD player than anything from his solo career.
  10. marksbass2002

Apr 23, 2002
    Lancs, UK
    Ozzy does seem to have gone past his prime. Some of his new stuff is OK, and Zakk Wylde is a great guitarist, but if Ozzy wants the respect he once had, he needs to go back to the original Black Sabbath lineup.
    Even though im lookin forward to seeing them at Ozzfest in the UK on May 25th.....
  11. Rudi Sarzo played bass on Diary of a Madman (and Tommy Aldrige was the drummer).
  12. PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    I was going to argue at first, but after looking over my Diary liner notes it does credit Sarzo and Aldrige. Some confliction reports going on here; gotta do some research. . . . .
  13. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Are those particular albums being advertised as being re-recorded or re-mastered? If the packaging says that they have been re-mastered, but in actuality they have been re-recorded, isn't that false advertising? Are they crediting the new musicians in the liner notes?

Sounds like bull to me, but I think Sharon makes all the money decisions in Ozzy's life. She seems like a bit of a grubber.
  14. I know they are crediting the new musicans in the liner notes, but I'm not sure if they are being sold as Remastered, or Rerecorded. IIRC I read they were being sold as remastered. So yeah, that is false advertising.
  15. Jason Brown

Jason Brown Supporting Member

May 1, 2000
    SLC, UT
    If I remember the answer correctly, when I was trying to find out why both Sarzo and Daisley are given bass credit on AMG's site, I think Daisley and Kerslake wrote the music on "Diary of a Madman" but left to join Uriah Heep before the album was recorded (with Sarzo and Aldridge).

WAKOJACO Guest

Jul 5, 2000
    Binghamton, NY
    Bob Daisley co-wrote all the music and wrote just about all the lyrics on Diary, Blizzard, and Bark at the Moon. He also worked on later (and lamer) ones, Ultimate Sin, No Rest for the Wicked, and No More Tears.

The 2 Blizzard Band albums, IMHO, had some of the best music to come out of the 80's, if not 2 all time classic rock albums. The bass tone and rhythm section mix is just great.

The remastered albums are a travesty. Ozzy is a greedy bastard. The players who re-recorded the parts are sell-outs. Bob Daisley is an immense and very unrecognized talent and song-writer. Everone should go to BobDaisley.com and learn more.
  17. Bazzist

Dec 7, 2002
    Nova Scotia
    I read on ultimate-guitar.com that Eminem will be playing at ozzfest. Ozzy says he thinks people will like it!!!!! This is a heavy metal crowd. What's he thinking?
  18. First of all, if it's really true that Sharon is making bands pay to play Ozzfest then I would seriously encourage EVERYONE to boycott it. Pay to play sucks. Period.

Also, I really didn't like the bass tone on Mr. Crowley, or Crazy Train, for that matter either. Really midrangey.

I do love the music though. Over the Mountain rules!
  19. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    You mean the same heavy metal crowd that shoveled Slipknot int their mouths? The same that lauded KoRn? Yeah...it's really hard to pull on over on them.

Yes, I am being sarcastic.
  20. Yup, two or three Ozzfests later, bands are still paying for the privelege to play.

I don't know how that "remastering" thing went. It's sort of like trying to find the un-"remastered" Suicidal Tendencies album or an un-"remastered" ZZTop album. The Suicidal album is all re-recorded and they went in and put all the guitars on the old ZZ Top stuff through a Rockman or something and killed all that beautiful Les Paul+Marshall tone. Much more "modern" or something.