1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

P.A. amp for a bass amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by j_piddy, Sep 23, 2003.

1. j_piddy

j_piddy

Sep 23, 2003
    Is it possible to use a QSC or Crown amp to power a 4x10 cab? Anyone tried it?

2. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    yes lots of people do it. Don't forget you're gonna need a preamp too.

3. j_piddy

j_piddy

Sep 23, 2003
    I have another bass amp I still plan to use. Will the Direct XLR out work as a sufficient preamp?

How will it sound?

4. I have a very same, yet different question.How about using a sans amp with a powered speaker? Is it the same?

5. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Not usually. Is the DI output pre or post pre-amp? If it's post, it should work. Sometimes it's switchable.

The pre-amps job is to boost the voltage to something the power amp can recognise and cleanly amplify. The output from most basses is <1 volt, too low to get max power from a power amp. The pre-amp will bring it up to >1 volt, producing a juicier signal for the power amp.

Some amps have a specific output for "preamp out". You may want to check yours.

A lot of people do it. I do it (running to a bass head). You may have to keep the level control down lower than if you were going to a power amp.

6. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    yes using a power amp is the thing to do, lots of headroom and your choice of preamp
    fwiw, bass sounds wonderful thru most good and durable pa speakers as well