Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

P.A. amp for a bass amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by j_piddy, Sep 23, 2003.

1. j_piddy

j_piddy

Sep 23, 2003
    Is it possible to use a QSC or Crown amp to power a 4x10 cab? Anyone tried it?

2. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    yes lots of people do it. Don't forget you're gonna need a preamp too.

3. j_piddy

j_piddy

Sep 23, 2003
    I have another bass amp I still plan to use. Will the Direct XLR out work as a sufficient preamp?

How will it sound?

4. I have a very same, yet different question.How about using a sans amp with a powered speaker? Is it the same?

5. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Not usually. Is the DI output pre or post pre-amp? If it's post, it should work. Sometimes it's switchable.

The pre-amps job is to boost the voltage to something the power amp can recognise and cleanly amplify. The output from most basses is <1 volt, too low to get max power from a power amp. The pre-amp will bring it up to >1 volt, producing a juicier signal for the power amp.

Some amps have a specific output for "preamp out". You may want to check yours.

A lot of people do it. I do it (running to a bass head). You may have to keep the level control down lower than if you were going to a power amp.

6. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    yes using a power amp is the thing to do, lots of headroom and your choice of preamp
    fwiw, bass sounds wonderful thru most good and durable pa speakers as well