1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

P Am. Standard-P Am. Deluxe

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ploonter, Feb 10, 2013.

1. Ploonter

Ploonter Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2009
    Franklin Park, NJ
    A couple days ago I aquired, (through trade), a 2011 Am. St. P.
    I really like it, especially the neck.
    However, my tax return has arrived, so I went down to the local SA to try out the Am. Deluxe P, (also a 2011). It is a very nice instument as well.
    The thing is, I'm not sure I like it enough to warrent the extra $350ish it will run me to "trade up".
    I liked the active "sounds" the bass was capable of, just not enough to make me go, "Wow, I gotta have this!".
    Also, though I did like the neck on the D, I think the St. feels much better!
    I'm not trying to "bash" either bass here, I'm just curious if anyone else has had a similar experience-

Tim

2. Ploonter

Jun 2, 2009
    Franklin Park, NJ
    Anyone?

3. I had one. 2011 also, I believe. Had the standard P and J pickups with the 70's style logo. Had everything I wanted, and I really wanted to like the bass. But it did not work for me. It's very versatile. As an active bass, I thought it sounded great. But, I'm more of a passive guy, and in this mode, I thought it came up a bit short. I thought it really lacked the growl, and even warmth, of a traditional P bass. Sold mine, and went back to the Standard.

4. SoVeryTired

SoVeryTired Endorsing nothing, recommending much

Jul 2, 2011
    Milton Keynes, UK
    So you have a bass. And there's another more expensive version that for you doesn't offer much over what you've already got.

I think the question has already been answered, unless you like the Deluxe more than your post suggests.

5. Ploonter

Jun 2, 2009
    Franklin Park, NJ
    Hey "So"-
    I was just curious if others had felt this way-and I guess "Ultra" answered that for me!
    It was just like that, I wanted to like the deluxe...But I didn't. (At least not as much as I was thinking I would.