P and J String Swap Suprise

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by FirewalZ, Dec 28, 2015.

Tags:
  1. FirewalZ

FirewalZ

Aug 14, 2014
    S.E. Michigan
    A long series of events led me here but ill keep it short:
    Ive been searching for the right strings for my Jazz and P, after trying many I had ended up with GHS pressurewounds on the P bass and Fender Pure Nickel on the Jazz. The Jazz sounded good but I ended up putting flats back on the P, however I just couldn't get the sound I was after on either. As an experiment I took the Pure Nickel's off the Jazz and put them on the P, I took the previous set of pressurewounds and put them on the J....Whala, there it was, the tones I had been after. The pressurewounds sounded much better on the Jazz, that punchy growl really came out. The Fender Pure Nickel's really made the P come alive, they have a higher tension while being less stiff than flats, the sound is very warm and mid-range rich, the "tingy highs" and boomy lows are dialed back a bit, the opposite of scooped I think, overall much more "P Bass" tone and grind than previously , if that makes since.

Jon Moody likes this.
  2. +1 This has been exactly my experience as well. J + PW = Purrrfect and Grrreat.

Meanwhile, the Sadowsky flats, which I was initially disappointed with when I tried them on my J, are now sounding fabulous on my P.

3. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    If the OP is playing the .102 Pressurewound E string, and it dies first, a .105 Progressive has the same wrap wire and, not being compressed, has a little more harmonic development to better match the A, D & G strings. Likewise, if the OP is playing the light .096 Pressurewound, the .100 also coordinates nicely with that set.

4. FirewalZ

FirewalZ

Aug 14, 2014
    S.E. Michigan
    Thanks. Everything gauge wise is fine...the point I was trying to make originally is that I had the pressuewounds on a P and pure nickel's on the J and everything was ok, not great but ok. However when I swapped the strings between the P and J, the tones I had been searching for jumped out and sounded much better.

5. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Indeed. Just looking down the road aways - as E strings tend to die first; well, at least, they do for me. Cheers!

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021