p and jazz tones

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ilovefruitpie, May 9, 2004.

1. ilovefruitpie

Apr 23, 2004
    wats the difference between the tones of a p-bass and a j-bass fenders im talking mim. which one is brighter and better for punk and which would sound more liek a gibson grabber
  2. I would recomend a P for punk
  3. ilovefruitpie

Apr 23, 2004
    but what if i play punk and i play alot of counter melodies kinda liek mike dirnt from green day which one would cut thru better
  4. josh_m

May 5, 2004
    Davie, Fl
    in all honesty if you buy a bass specifically for playing punk i think you are wasting your money. they have differant tones and feels, they are balanced differant and the differance between the feel of the necks is huge. go and play them, put them on wear each of them for a while, i even suggest trying some other basses to feel the differance. i personally am happier with my ibanez then i would be with most any fender (except maybe the Geddy Lee...that neck is amazing) also, playing punk right now doesnt mean you will playing punk all the time, buy a bass that you like the way it sounds and feels. you may find one by a company youve never heard of but that you love. also doesnt fender make that hoppis bass? i know a few people who swear by it but the balance is a little off for me, i play high and it sits too flat.

5. Generally speaking.... Jazz basses are known for being brighter then P basses, this is due to the pickup placement on each instrument.

Better, is not a great word to use when comparing these two models, each bass, with great player technique, can produce unbelievable tones for any genre of music!

6. Play them both at a guitar store, and what it comes down to is what tone you like better.
  7. The split coil pickup on the precision can have a slightly different midrange shift when compared to the two single coils on a jazz. I am still curious as to whether hum cancelling split coil pickups (Dimarzio Ultra Jazz) will have the same effect on a Hamer 2TEK Cruise Bass that I now own. Guess I will have to wait and see...
  8. I have a P and I like it for punk/hardcore/ska/emo etc. People use both Jazz and P basses, it's all down to personal preference, I have heard a band called Cult Of Luna get the most EVIL tone out of a Jazz, yet I have heard some musicians getting a lovely mellow tone from a P.

Jazz will probably be brighter, but the trebly sound you can acheive with a P-Bass cuts through really good. To conclude....go and try. :)
  9. badsneakers

May 31, 2004
    I guess my question is, why not buy a Gibson Grabber?
  10. PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    check out the styles with P/J combos.....it may be the best way so you can get a bit more tone choices outa your bass.