Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

p and MM pickup combo?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Matt R Miller, Oct 4, 2003.

1. Matt R Miller

Matt R Miller

Apr 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    Has any manufacturer or luthier tried this? it seems to me that this would be a great combo - combining the 2 most popular sounds in hard/punk rock (although i play neither, it would still be interesting to hear). anyone have any pics or has this not been done?

-matt

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I keep my MM and P basses seperate, but I've seen it once before. I believe someone put a P pickup on a Stingray in the regular position. I personally thought the guy was nuts, but I would definately try it if the opportunity arose.

3. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    This topic seems to come up pretty regularly- a lot of people have found that to keep the pickups in their "stock" position in relation to the bridge, the pickups would overlap slightly. The seemingly common solution is to flip the bottom coil of the P pickup to the top, so it is right near the neck joint. I think Ed Friedland did it on his bass.

4. cods

cods

Sep 16, 2003

you mean something like a fender american p-bass deluxe?

5. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    That's what I have always wondered about...except with a MM pickup... check out the link. I think it would be awesome but if you used a front route body whats the least amount of pots that you could get away with??http://warmoth.com/showcase/wgp_body_detail.asp?itemNumber=B404

6. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    If I am not mistaken the Fender Deluxe uses a standard P pickup but the humbucker in the bridge position is not as big as the MM p-up....and every A. Deluxe I have seen was active and had tons of concent knobs...

7. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    I think it would be awesome to have a P body with MM neck...have the pickups like you mention and you could pretty much blend to have either sound you want.....hmmmmmmmm the wheels are now turning.:D

8. Philthy

Philthy Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2001
    Wallington, NJ
    I actually have seen it done. A friend of mine routed out his P bass and added a MM humbucker. It sounded pretty sweet. He kept it passive, though. It would probably even sound better active. I think it would make a pretty interesting project.

As a matter of fact.....not to be a salesman here...I'm selling a Seymour Duncan Alnico 4 string pickup. They sound pretty sweet. Check it out:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=101089

Good luck with you're project.

9. Skerik1

Skerik1

Sep 21, 2002
    Saint Paul, MN

Not exactly a MM pickup, nor is it in the same place, but Fender just happens to make something like what you're talking about:

[​IMG]

--Matthew

10. I couldn't get an MM sound out of the P bass deluxes I tried- the JJ humbucker is a bit too close to the bridge.

I tried a P + JJ setup with the humbucker closer to the neck (so the bridge coil would be where the bridge P/up on a Jazz would be) on my Warmoth parts p bass-

[​IMG]

(damn - that rush-job spray-can finish I did is embarassing- must get it refinished properly :oops: )

the bridge p/up run in parallel or series gets some pseudo-MM sounds - it would get closer with an active circuit.

- Geshel thought it was a Stingray from the mp3 in this thread-

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=80766

11. 123repeater

123repeater

Oct 10, 2003
    sandberg offer a bass with p-mm combo. sandberg is a german brand and i don't know if they are available in the us.
    it is called "basic pm".
    it has a mm-pickup closer to the bridge and a p-pickup with the same large polepieces as the mm.
    you can see it on their hompage: www.sandberg-guitars.com

12. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    [​IMG]

This one was in the gallery at Warmoth. It's got a true MM p/up instead of the double J like that Fender. The guy posted his e-mail address, so he might not mind a little inquiry about it.

13. bwbass

bwbass

May 6, 2002
    WA
    Hey Mock Turtle - what is that bridge pickup?!?!?I've never seen one without polepieces. Is it a Bartolini (though I can't see the logo)?

And did we do the bridge pickup routing? I remember that the first couple of those we did had the double-J where yours is, but we moved it when we saw the results with a P pickguard, like yours. Now it gets centered over the old bridge J rout, which is where it looks like Fender puts it.

By the way, our P+MM routed bodies always get the MM moved closer to the bridge, otherwise the routs touch and the wood separating them gets blow out and makes one bit rout.

14. bwbass

bwbass

May 6, 2002
    WA
    Oh. Just read the thread you linked to, and saw it's a Kent Armstrong. How do you like it? And where the heck did you get it? It's not shown on WD's site....

15. I got it from the UK WD/Kent Armstrong distributor, Rainbow products.
    it actually has exposed polepieces- I covered them with a piece of plastic cut from a project box.

re. routing, I ordered the P body (back in spring 2000) with the PJ config, and extended the rout on one side to take the JJ p/up.
    some people may not like the look re. the p/up eating into the pickguard, but I like the tone, and also it's comfortable to rest my thumb against (I've put a small piece of pickguard material between the pickups as a thumbrest).

the only problem is that pick playing is a bit restricted by the narrow space between the pickups.

the KA p/up's not perfect by any means- I had to file down the G and E string polepieces to balance the output as they're not staggered.
    also the output is a bit low in single-coil and parallel mode-
    the P pickup is from an EMG Select PJ set, and the J from that was a lot hotter, (but it picked up a lot of hum too- the KA is pretty quiet in S/C mode).

Fender have a covered polepiece JJ humbucker in the Precision Lyte Deluxe (now the Zone bass), also Warwick use an MEC covered JJ.
    only that getting hold of any of these in the UK is near impossible, same with the Rio Grande Powerbucker, so I went with the KA.