1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

P and Soapbar Pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Mr Sixty6, Mar 2, 2018.

1. Mr Sixty6

Mr Sixty6

Aug 1, 2017
    Australia
    Ok, so, I've got a custom Iceman body on it's way with a P and Soap Bar (EMG 35 size) route. I'm looking at throwing in a set of Geezer Butlers P's and maybe a Seymour Duncan NYC. Now my question is am i going to have any major issues with the DCR as the Geezer's are rated at 11.20 and the NYC at 4.4?
    Also, I'd love to hear from any one that's ran a P and Soapbar setup before.

Thanks.

2. Mr Sixty6

Mr Sixty6

Aug 1, 2017
    Australia
    I should add, I'm looking at running, Volume, Blend and tone controls.

3. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone. Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    DCR isn’t the only thing that determines a pickup’s output. Anyway, the Duncan NYC should be fine, especially since it can be wired in parallel or series. If it can’t keep up with the GZR in parallel, just wire it in series.

Mr Sixty6 and sikamikanico like this.
  4. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    Yeah, most likely you’ll need to wire the NYC in Series.
    From my experience, I have a bass with an MM bridge pickup and a Duncan QP neck pickup. The MM needs to be wired i series to even try to keep up with the QP.

Mr Sixty6 likes this.
  5. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood Commercial User

Sep 1, 2015
    Writer/Ambassador/Artist/Resident Bass Expert for Seymour Duncan
    I would agree with this.

Mr Sixty6 likes this.
  6. sikamikanico

sikamikanico

Mar 17, 2004
    Try a series/parallel/single switch - you may find all tones usable, for different things. Or at least try all of them before settling on which way to wire the NYC. I think @two fingers has a bass wired like that and likes it. He may have good advice regarding specifics.

An alternative would be a split coil. Nordstrand makes a BigSplit in EMG35 size, and I read it pairs well with a P. Maybe get their angled pole piece P as well... I guess it would be similar to Ibanez Talman TMB 600, so you can probably find sound clips to hear it before you try it, or even try one in a store.

Zoobiedood and Mr Sixty6 like this.
  7. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    I full disclosure, my MM pickup is wired Series/Bridge coil/Neck Coil.
    I have a .1mF cap wired into the whole mess for use with the coil tap modes just like G&L’s “OMG”...
    The cap allows for use of both coils in Series while only upper frequencies of each selected coil are used. Same volume and output as Series by itself, but with single coil tone.

Mr Sixty6 likes this.
  8. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Yes! My Hammersmith bridge pickup is wired that way. And it was inspired by a Fender Roscoe Beck Signature bass Iised to own.

My current bass has a P at the neck and that split coil. I wound up with three very usable "P/J" tones. Plus in series the bridge by itself is pretty stout.

Mr Sixty6 likes this.
  9. Mr Sixty6

Mr Sixty6

Aug 1, 2017
    Australia
    Awesome, Thanks guys.
    A mates lending me his Fender P with a Geezer in it over the next week.
    But, hadn't even looked into the Nordstrand stuff yet. Looks like it might not be a bad way to go.

10. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood Commercial User

Sep 1, 2015
    Writer/Ambassador/Artist/Resident Bass Expert for Seymour Duncan
    With the NYCs, a switch like this is really the key to unlocking this versatile pickup. I'd never install it unless I could switch between these sounds.

eastcoasteddie likes this.