Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

P-Bas questions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pgurns, Nov 12, 2005.

1. pgurns

pgurns

Dec 26, 2003
    Northern, IL
    Probably going to buy a new MIM p bass today and was wondering about the quality of the stock pups. Any recs on a replacement if needed. Also any personal experience between the MIM p's and the USA's? Just trying to figure out if you all think it's worth more than double the price.

2. the basslines sb3 quarter pounder is my personal favorite, thats what I would swap in.

3. bassist4christ

bassist4christ Banned

May 26, 2005
    My self I can't see spending that much money on a MIA, when you can get say a standard series from Squier or even a MIM and buy new fender pick ups and the cloth coverd wiring kit. The pick ups and wiring kit will only be like 100 dollers, and the bass is only like 300 mybe (or cheaper sometimes. But that's me

4. pgurns

pgurns

Dec 26, 2003
    Northern, IL
    The(almost) local Guitar Center has mexi's for 399 and USA's for 999 not sure about the the squiers though. I have heard that the Mexican Fenders are pretty decent and for 399 for a new bass thats pretty reasonable I think. I read somewhere that they use the same pups as the USA's any truth to this?

5. bassist4christ

bassist4christ Banned

May 26, 2005
    I'm not sure about the basses, but I just got a squier standard strat with alinco pick ups where the MIM had ceramic ones. So I don't know for sure but I don't think so

6. pgurns

pgurns

Dec 26, 2003
    Northern, IL
    I know the squiers are different, but I thought I read that the USA made and Mexi made ones shared the same electronics

7. bassist4christ

bassist4christ Banned

May 26, 2005
    Like I said I'm not sure about basses but I do know about the strats and teles. And the standard series from squier, not the AFFINTY series, have the alinco pick ups

8. Nah, they're definitely not the same pickups. They sound decent enough, but there are many cheap replacement pickups such as DiMarzios which could be employed.

I'd take a look at the new 50s P bass, which is also MIM. It's a bit more expensive and has the same pickup, but it feels real nice and looks amazing.

9. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    Seymour Duncan SPB 3 pickups and job done. Steve Harris and millions of other bassists can't be wrong.

10. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Not the same electronics in MIM and MIA. For me, a Dimarzio Model P and CTS pots makes it all better :)