1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

P-Bass 2006 Highway 1 VS 2011 Road Worn ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lixisoft, Oct 5, 2013.

1. Not sure which one to buy, 2006 Hiway 1 is $500, and the 2011 Road Worn is $600. Both are mail order so I can't play either before buying. I have a MIM 50's Classic P-Bass (which I like very much), would either of these basses be better ? Is the Hiway 1 a nitro finish body and poly neck? Opinions pro or con would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for helping me out !!

2. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    Is it a "Highway 1" or a "Highway One"??? If the trussrod adjusts at the heel of the neck, it's a One - at the headstock, it's a 1... Also, does it have a BAII bridge???

If it's a Highway One with a BAII bridge, it has nitro on the body, poly on the neck - and *I* would go that way - if not, I'd probably go with the RW...

- georgestrings

3. FrednBass

FrednBass

Feb 24, 2012
    Road Worn, they play like a dream.

4. I prefer the one you already have, if it plays and sounds as good as mine.

5. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    I have owned both, the RW was way better in feeling, weight and sound.

6. EmptyCup

EmptyCup

Feb 25, 2013
    Nashville Area
    I have a 2006 "Hwy One" P and the neck is very nice. the truss-rod adjusts at the heel, BA II bridge, etc.
    I dumped the "Greasebucket" circut for a traditional set-up. Sounds like a P and plays great.
    I don't have the RW P, but I have the RW jazz and it sounds very very good. The quality is at least equal to the Hwy One models (if not better).
    Either way you should be happy. Just keep in mind the tuners on the RW work in reverse (as the vintage ones do)
    and this can feel a little weird if you are not used to that.

7. Stevenjm

Stevenjm

Nov 23, 2012
    Milwaukee, WI
    VERY weird if you're not used to it. I thought I was losing my mind when I was trying a bass out the other day.

8. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Road Worn are my preference, but the first year of the Highway one was nice—before the BAII bridge. 2005?

9. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    ... Jim, Hwy 1's were introduced in 2003 ... basses that is .. guitars came in during 2002

... lixisoft, the RW will be much closer to your 50's Classic Series P, in nut width, electronics, etc ... the Hwy Series will have the 1 5/8" nut (both 1 and ONE) and Greasebucket tone circuitry ...

... Geoge raises the important question, as '06 was the transition year for 1 to ONE, so with the information given, it could be either, but more than likely a ONE .. there were even a few that slipped through the system that had components of either (mixed) in the very beginning of the 'upgrade' ... I saw one with the graphite support rod neck on the older style (1) body ...

10. AngelCrusher

AngelCrusher Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2004
    Mesa Boogie, Tech 21, Taylor
    Get the one without neck hump. My HW1 did not have it. My RW did. Mileage will vary.