1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

P Bass - 4 Conductor Series Wiring

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by charlie monroe, Jan 22, 2012.

1. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    I think I know what I am doing, but the only stupid question is the one that isn't asked. Can you guys check my work, please?

I am doing some pickup swapping, and here is what I have:

- 2005 American 4 conductor pu with S1 controls in a 2003 Highway One
    - Stan Hinesley wired for series and new pots/cap/jack
    - 2000 Squier pu wired for series and Squier tone circuit in a Frankenbass

The idea is to put the Stan with the new pots in the Hwy 1, and the American pu into the Squier body, using existing pots, and eliminating the S1

I have never worked with 4 conductors before. So here is the question:

The American pu has one black and one yellow lead on the bass coil, and one black and one white lead on the treble coil. I have no interest in a series/parallel switch. Should I join the yellow from the bass side with the black from the treble side? This would leave me with only the black from one coil and the white from the other coil running to the pots.

Thanks guys

2. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Yes, you want to connect one wire from each coil together.

You want the two coils to be connected out-of-phase with each other. I don't know what color codes Fender use.

So if you put the pickup in and it hums (that's 60Hz hum, not high pitched buzzing), then swap the two wires from one of the coils.

3. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Sorry for the delay, but thank you.