1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

p-bass 60's post cbs

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by uptowndirt, Sep 8, 2008.

1. uptowndirt

uptowndirt Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2008
    Canada
    do all p-basses have ashtrays........as i have a 69 that has no mounting holes ? refinish ? :confused:

2. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    Possibly... or replacement body?

3. allotabass

allotabass Guest

4. uptowndirt

Feb 16, 2008
    Canada
    Is there any marking under the pick guard that i should look for ?

5. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    No there are no markings under the pickguards on 68-73 basses.

If it's sunburst or any translucent color, then you should be able to see the pin router holes that were filled on the back of the body that Allotabass described to you.
    Unfortunately on solid colors you can't see them.

Do you have any body pics with the pickguard and neck removed?

6. uptowndirt

Feb 16, 2008
    Canada
    The color is white and can't see the pin holes the neck is marked 69 c.....if i take it apart again i will post pic's.....

7. While I am not sure of the dates, in the late sixties or early seventies Fender started to include the covers in the case, but not install them. I think enough players didn't like them or the holes needed to install them,so they left the installation up to the buyer. I think it it entirely possible for a '69 to have no cover holes.

8. cripula

cripula

Dec 20, 2006
    Canada
    You sure about that bassmanrocke? My '75 P came with covers installed. I think it was much later that they didn't come pre drilled.

My '69 is most certainly factory drilled for covers. The OP's bass should definitely have the ashtray mounting holes.

9. Unless, as previously speculated, it is a refin or replacement. Pictures might help to solve this one.

10. mikeswals

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    No, you're a decade off...they started doing that in '79, not '69.

11. cripula

cripula

Dec 20, 2006
    Canada
    My point was that a '69P would have come from the factory with ashtrays installed (and therefore have the mounting holes). Yes, not having them indicates a refin or swapped body.

+1 for pics.

12. uptowndirt

Feb 16, 2008
    Canada
    Where on the body (if a replacement ) and what markings could i look for, i have to take this baby apart and do an investigation.

13. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    Unfortunately, there's no consistent answer. Fender did make replacement bodies at one time that actually had a badge near the neck plate to indicate it was a genuine replacement. My guess is those are a rarity. Beyond that, anything goes. Many makers big and small have made Fender replacement bodies. Few that I have seen are clearly marked as such. This isn't to imply that these are lesser quality; many are excellent.

14. uptowndirt

Feb 16, 2008
    Canada
    OK this bass has had a refinish would seem prev. owner had no use for ash trays and filled in the mounting holes.........can anyone help with the value of a 69 P with clear neck marking of 6 aug 69 B all orig. hardware and controls.....refinished body.

15. Now more than ever pictures would help, as you have given very little info on the overall condition, the quality of the refin, etc etc. It's hard to say a value based on the year of a bass that we know next to nothing about besides it's been refinished.

16. uptowndirt

Feb 16, 2008
    Canada
    This is it...............
    bass2.
    bass3.
    bass4.
    bass5.
    Bass1.

17. uptowndirt

Feb 16, 2008
    Canada
    here are some pic's......any ideas on the value.

18. adam clinton

adam clinton Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    Assuming all else is orginal (other than finish) I would say a range of $2,200 to $2,500...Chicago Music Exchange has a similar refin that is in better shape for $2,600 at the moment

I am not a Fender expert, but had recently purchased a refin1965 P (all original except the finish) and it was mid $3K range

The guy I got from is a big collector/dealer and said there is a significant drop in price for late 60's and early 70's stuff vs. the ealry to mid 60's stuff

Again - just the best info I have

19. mikeswals

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Well it also appears the previous owner also filled in the holes for the finger rest, and removed the 'fullerton hump' in the lower cutaway.
    The one remaining deciding factor that it is a correct era body would be a sidways oval rout hole for the ground wire under the bridge. Definitely make sure that is there.

20. uptowndirt

Feb 16, 2008
    Canada
    So remove the bridge and there will or should be a rout hole under it. will it be a full grove. or a tunnel.