P-Bass: 70s or Am Std?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GuitarJonz, May 1, 2002.

1. GuitarJonz

Mar 9, 2002
    Assuming you can pick up a 70s P-Bass for the same ballpark price (hard to find, but possible) as a newer used American Std P-Bass, also assuming that both play and sound good, which would you buy and why?
  2. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    All things being equal, I'd take the older bass, only because the older bass should rise in monetary value much faster than the newer one.
  3. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    I'd go for the Am Std - Graphite reinforced neck, body thru stringing and the "Vintage" pups are the reasons
  4. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    when i was in the market for a P i had the same problem. i ended buying an ex demo Fender American Serie Precision. i tried a lot of precisions and ended with the one i like the best, obviously. the suggestion is always the same, never buy an instrument without trying it first, i won't buy an instrument via internet or mail order. i want to try it first. i tried MIJ, '70 and present MIA and i like all of them, but i prefer mine because of the weight, sound and overall feel. '70 sounded good but weighted a ton!
  5. crud19

Sep 26, 2001
    With the American Standard, you have a pretty good idea what you're getting. If you decide to go with a 70s model, be sure to play it first. You have about as good a chance of picking up a dog of a bass as you do a collector's item. For the record, I love my '77, and would not trade it for the world.