Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

P-bass action

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by hateater, May 13, 2003.

1. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    I have a 98 MIM P, and i have had no trouble up until just a bit ago. I decided to lower the action, so i did, and the only problem was that I got some fret buz on my d string past the 12th fret. My fellow bandmate suggested adjusting the trussrod. I have had NO experience with truss rods at all, but he told me all i had to do was take off the control plate, seperate the next from the body and voila, there is the truss rod. I took off the control plate this morning and there was nothing. So i examined a little more and noticed that the place to adjust the truss rod is on the headstock (I am right aren't I?). So i carefully put the bass back together, and after putting on the E string, i hit it, and all i get is buzzing. There is no fret that doesn't buzz. I tried every other string and its the same thing for all of them. i then raised the action slightly and the exact same thing happened! AHHHHHH! WHAT IS GOING ON?????? SOMEONE HELP ME PLEASE!

2. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    It sounds like now you will have to adjust the trussrod. The instructions that your bandmate gave you were for early fenders, before they moved the place where you adjust the trussrod. If you had a vintage P bass, your bandmate would of been right. With new models they changed where you adjust the trussrod so that you don't have to take off the neck. It sounds like your trussrod might need adjustment now, though it could be something else, like maybe the neck wasnt put back on perfect.

3. BONZOBASS

BONZOBASS

May 7, 2003
    when i changed my jazz basses neck to a frett-less one i put the original neck on a p-bass that i frankensteined(built from spair parts)and the thing buzzed like a bee-hive,which is quit commen when you take off all the string tension off the neck,i had it happen when i removed all my strings at once to change them(now i do one at a time to prevent this from happening)you got some bad advice and now you have to either adjust it yourself or take it to a bass tech,its not that hard but in this case the neck is way off ,if it was buzzing a little i would say go 4 it,but in this case it sounds way out of whack. DONT WORRY ITS NO BIGGIE,YOUR LOCAL TECH CAN GET YOU PLAYING AGAIN:D ,next time check w/ a bass player.
    good luck:bassist:

4. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Please be careful here... 1/4 to 1/2 turn is a lot of adjustment for a truss rod, (especially when tightening/straightening...), There is a ton of info here if you do a search...

-robert

5. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    Yes, i realise that. I did not even touch the truss rod!