Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

P Bass advice (not a noob question)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hurley, Apr 28, 2004.

1. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    First off, I'm sorry for another "Is this a good deal?" thread. :rolleyes: I did a lot of searching, but came up with nothing. I'd really appreciate some advice.

I saw this on eBay last night...
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=64401&item=3720992934&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

I really don't have a lot of money to buy another bass (too many other expenses at the moment). I've always wanted a P-Bass, and if this seems good, I'll think I'll buy it. It would seem that this is a good deal. Not great, but good. It comes with a gig bag and free shipping. Assuming the neck is good and straight, what do you think?

Thanks in advance.
    :bassist:

2. Fliptrique

Fliptrique

Jul 22, 2002
    Szczecin, Poland
    Endorsing Artist: Mayones Guitars&Basses, Taurus Amplification
    i`ve played two mexican p-basses... one of them was really ok, the other one was terrible. as always, it`s either a good bass, or it`s not. photos won`t help. :crying:

3. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    Thanks. :) I do understand that the MIM basses are hit-and-miss. I know how risky it would be to buy this without playing it, but for $200 it might be worth the risk. I was just wondering if the early 90's (in this case, '92), was a good period for MIM, and if the price was good.

BTW, I know about Essex. If I was actually planning on buying a cheap P Bass, I'd probably get one. It's just that this Fender appealed to me. Also, I'm on eBay a lot, and I know this bass will go quick. I'd do some mods when I could scrape up some more cash. (SD 1/4 lb., Bad@ss II, tort pickguard...).

Thanks again.
    :bassist:

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I'd try and lowball the seller because it's missing the original metal knobs. Instead, it has those skanky white plastic knobs like a Stratocaster.

As Flip says - you're always taking your chances on eBay.

5. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Or you can get a 2000 MIA P-Bass that ROCKS! PM me. ;)