P Bass advice (not a noob question)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hurley, Apr 28, 2004.

1. Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    First off, I'm sorry for another "Is this a good deal?" thread. :rolleyes: I did a lot of searching, but came up with nothing. I'd really appreciate some advice.

I saw this on eBay last night...

I really don't have a lot of money to buy another bass (too many other expenses at the moment). I've always wanted a P-Bass, and if this seems good, I'll think I'll buy it. It would seem that this is a good deal. Not great, but good. It comes with a gig bag and free shipping. Assuming the neck is good and straight, what do you think?

Thanks in advance.
  2. Fliptrique

Jul 22, 2002
    Szczecin, Poland
    Endorsing Artist: Mayones Guitars&Basses, Taurus Amplification
    i`ve played two mexican p-basses... one of them was really ok, the other one was terrible. as always, it`s either a good bass, or it`s not. photos won`t help. :crying:
  3. Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    Thanks. :) I do understand that the MIM basses are hit-and-miss. I know how risky it would be to buy this without playing it, but for $200 it might be worth the risk. I was just wondering if the early 90's (in this case, '92), was a good period for MIM, and if the price was good.

BTW, I know about Essex. If I was actually planning on buying a cheap P Bass, I'd probably get one. It's just that this Fender appealed to me. Also, I'm on eBay a lot, and I know this bass will go quick. I'd do some mods when I could scrape up some more cash. (SD 1/4 lb., Bad@ss II, tort pickguard...).

Thanks again.
  4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I'd try and lowball the seller because it's missing the original metal knobs. Instead, it has those skanky white plastic knobs like a Stratocaster.

As Flip says - you're always taking your chances on eBay.
  5. JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Or you can get a 2000 MIA P-Bass that ROCKS! PM me. ;)