P-bass aftermarket pickup close to late 60's sound

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Sietze B, May 20, 2021.

1. Sietze B

Sietze B

Dec 7, 2018
    Hey fellow bassists,

After reading quite a few threads on P-bass pickups, I still haven't found "my" answer. Maybe it is somewhere in one of the 57k posts in this forum, but I cannot find it. Hope you will be willing to help me out :)

I am looking for a pickup that has similar specs and similar sound as the Fender P-bass pickups, used in the 1967 - 1969 era.

Currently I have an Pure Vintage '63 pup installed in my 2013 MIA Standard. I didn't like the CS-pup that was originally in it. I do like the '63, but it seems to be darker than the 1967 - 1969 era pups.

Thanks!
    Sietze

2. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    Hello. May I suggest that instead of seeking similar specs and sound, you concentrate on sound alone.

20 different makers say they use, for example, alnico V magnets, heavy formvar coil wire, fiberboard bobbins, and cloth-covered leads. 15 publish a resistance measurement; one of them publishes an inductance measurement. Those are specs. How will you differentiate among those pickups based on their specs?

Some makers have special materials and/or ways of finessing the techniques, so they get results that are audibly different from the pack. Such differences can't be expressed in a spec sheet. In the end, it is only the sound that matters.

In my brief experience there are three ways to find "the" pickup:

1. lucking out

2. trying a variety of pickups

3. collaborating with a maker​

It's hard to get around doing 1 and 2 together. 3 will give you a great advantage over doing just 1 and 2. 1 alone is like winning the lottery.

Given the examples of my current 1969 Precision Bass (whose pickup dates between '67 and '69) and my 1968 Precision Bass pickup, and comparing them to contemporary pickups I own, I suggest that you try
    • collaborating closely with O.C. Duff Pickups on custom pickups. If Owen doesn't make what you have in mind within two attempts, I'll be surprised.

Good Luck!

Lobster11 likes this.
  3. Bass4ThePublic

Bass4ThePublic Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2019
    Kansas City
    Plain enamel wire and alnico 5 magnets were used by fender from about 1964-1980’s. The Seymour Duncan Antiquity 2 fits the bill.

Slater likes this.
  4. Fender 62 P pickup not as dark

Yahboy likes this.
  5. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone.

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I’ll 2nd the SD Antiquity II :thumbsup:

LoveThatBass likes this.
  6. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    The P pup on Vintera P.

7. Sietze B

Sietze B

Dec 7, 2018
    Thanks for the reply guys,
    I'll try and sort things out :)

8. Erik Turkman

Erik Turkman Supporting Member

Jan 18, 2004
    Washington, DC area
    Tubehed and Brkls like this.
  9. Brkls

Brkls

Oct 21, 2018
    I second the Original from fender. Just got a 63 and a classic and while they are both great PU. 63 is very full and warm, and original has super nice mids and growl. So far i prefer original with flats and 63 with Halfrounds but 63 was also cool with the 9050m but not as nice as the original.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 22, 2022